Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laundry makeover - first time reno

Gillgirl
Building a Reputation

Laundry makeover - first time reno

41E94A98-088F-4D92-B0D3-0FBD3A5D0D66.jpeg

Just thought I’d post for those who are a bit apprehensive about starting a project.. we have lived in our house for 25+ years and I’m afraid it took covid to get me up and running on this project I had always wanted to do! Our laundry room was just a dumping ground for everything to do with cleaning and there was nowhere to put anything away plus we had a large laundry sink that was never used. I’m just going to post the pictures but will say we are both seniors with NO experience but plenty of “can do” and willing to try and if necessary change any mistakes ( there were plenty 😂)

862396C4-BE8C-46FF-A606-29500D0851DC.jpeg

  

FA137388-235C-4308-98BD-DC444A7EC6DE.jpeg

A07672D5-28E4-470C-9BB8-DA9284AF270D.jpeg

8CAAB91D-82E5-4F7C-8F66-15184A2BEEA5.jpeg

2F454D8F-9BA6-488B-B41A-5864C8C1E1F4.jpeg

FD631011-78E1-4FFD-95C6-C7D6EAAA2619.jpeg

CD99D601-786A-4A1E-B29B-50FC04A355E8.jpeg

6B208FC2-0008-4B1A-AC5E-343C58950D6E.jpeg

A745CBC6-F48D-4C4F-B114-D56BF533EB59.jpeg

E031E7DF-E657-4F59-9F14-2AF68B7CAF11.jpeg

  

CCC51E6B-6EB8-49AB-B904-17E3E902E637.jpeg

E9F907E2-93CB-4E23-B59D-35E0CDC6DA75.jpeg

  

JRRed
Building a Reputation

Re: first time reno

What a fantastic job.  Just what I was hoping to do myself.  I also would like to remove the back door (which I never use) and replace it with a window the full width of the laundry.
I have found now that I am older, that it is quite tricky for me to get up on a step to reach the dryer.  I think your layout would work well in my laundry and I don't use the sink either.  It's just a place to stack laundry baskets really.

Thank you so much for the inspiration.

RenoSandie
Growing in Experience

Re: first time reno

Hi @JRRed , if you’re thinking of closing off your laundry exit door, make sure you still have a second exit from your home, for safety reasons.

cheers, Sandie 

RenoSandie
Growing in Experience

Re: Laundry makeover - first time reno

Great reno, @Gillgirl . You’ve done a fabulous job and should feel very proud of your achievements. 
I think the timber benchtop is a great look in the laundry, with the appliances and cupboards tucking in neatly. 
Job well done 😃 

cheers, Sandie

JRRed
Building a Reputation

Back of house... laundry door in the middleBack of house... laundry door in the middleYes I have two other doors on either side.

mattmoo
Finding My Feet

Wow. You couldn't have done a better job. Tasteful and practical.

I'm wondering about the legals of doing my own plumbing. No more than what you've done, but is that allowed or would you need it checked.

Great job!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mattmoo

@Gillgirl mentions that they had a plumber come in who removed the sink and capped off the taps behind the wall leaving them with a drainage pipe for the washing machine. I would encourage you to seek out your relevant state requirements on what plumbing work you can carry out. The NSW Plumbing and Drainage Act specifies that any plumbing work must be carried out by an authorised plumber. Generally, the only D.I.Y. plumbing work that is allowed is changing cosmetic items like showerheads or replacing washers in cisterns. 

Please let me know if you need further advice or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
wendyhiggins
Getting Established

Hi all I am a newbie to renovating so looking forward to getting some great ideas. I love the cupboards that you used and could you tell me the name of them please

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @wendyhiggins. It's fantastic to have you join us.

Let me mention @Gillgirl so they are alerted to your kind feedback and so they can hopefully answer your question. We look forward to hearing more about your own renovation plans and encourage you to let us know if you need any assistance or have something to share with the community. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration within the community, just like this amazing project, for all your renovations around the house and garden.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@wendyhiggins 

Hi Wendy

we bought the cupboards from ikea. They are called EKET and choose them because of the weight as they are very light (5kg per cupboard): and easy to hang so that when filled with our cleaning stuff it’s not going to bring the wall down! Our original choices were far too heavy and would have needed some serious joists to attach to wall and we didn’t want that. The Eket are great and also have a spring closer which makes them easy to snap shut. 
hope this helps and don’t hesitate to shout if you need more info.
good luck

Hi Gill

Thank you for getting back to me as they would be perfect for my very small laundry and yes I will get back to you if I need any more help...

Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects