Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laundry / pet room makeover

orps
Getting Established

Laundry / pet room makeover

Would love some advice/ideas for redoing our laundry space to accomodate our two cats. 

Right now, this is what our laundry looks like, it's set into a nook in a tiled thoroughfare that leads to a main bathroom/powder room. 

IMG_9656.jpg

I've had the idea to better utilise this space, and make room for the cats' litter tray/food and sleeping/lounging/playing areas. During the day they have free run of the house but at night we like to put them away in their own space so they stay safe. 

My rough idea is below... 

IMG_9655.jpg

- Take out the large laundry sink we now have, as we never use it. 

- Move the washing machine to where the sink currently is 

- Mount the dryer high up on the wall, leaving enough space for a bench top

- Put a slab of wood as a bench top 

- Next to the washing machine, have some cupboards separated into two section, one for the litter tray, and one for the cat sleeping area. These would have normal cabinet doors on the front to allow for easy cleaning, with cat doors cut into them. 

- Up above the bench, put in some open shelves, with gaps between them so the cats can jump up and play/lounge. I would add carpet tiles to these for traction and also a scratching post. 

- Their food would go on the bench top (which I estimate to be about 64cm deep, based on the washing machine) 

- Possibly a small sink in the middle of the bench, above the cavity where the litter would go (can you easily switch the position of the washing machine/sink with the help of a plumber?)

- Ideally, on the far right of the bench top we'd cut a hole in the bench so the cats can jump up from their sleeping area. Alternatively, I need to come up with an idea for them to jump from the floor up to the bench for their food (right now they have taken over our bathroom and jump from the toilet up onto the bench where their food is) 

Finally, the nook area leaves a gap of about 30ish cms in front, and I am thinking of getting roller style wardrobe doors to seal off the space at night time. 

My questions are:

-What do you think of the plan?

-Do you have better ideas to maximise space/combine the needs of a laundry room with a pet space? 

- Do you have suggestion for a compact laundry sink?

- What sort of wood slab might work for here and can you get that cut to size at bunnings? (it would need to be VERY water proof if we went ahead with the sink idea as our cat has a love of water play...) 

- Are there easy options to install shelves like this that can be cut to size easily? (and be strong enough to hold two cats, potentially 10kg+?) 

Looking forward to your feedback! 

Cheers 

Re: Laundry / pet room makeover

OMG this is amazing!!! @redracer01 I am wanting to re do my laundry and make it cat friendly as well, would you mind if I posted my dimensions etc down below or should I start a new thread?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @snowlaina. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

I trust @redracer01 appreciates your compliments on their design. If you would like to discuss your own project I would encourage you to start your own discussion so your questions are more visible to the wider community.

We look forward to assisting with your plans and can't wait to see you get started.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PatUdara
Building a Reputation

20201027_190919.jpg

 Something like this with laundry sink and tap 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects