Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laundry reno

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Laundry reno

I’ve started on the laundry as the tile removal is the most daunting. It’s 1.45m x 1.2m - a small space that has a folding door to hide it.

Unfortunately, I didn’t take great “before” pictures. Basically, I’m removing all of the tiles, the sink and the folding doors. The doors are going because they limit the usefulness of the space. I’m not moving the plumbing

The start - these mosaics are grouted with Mission Brown!

342B5867-B112-40BB-9752-A15D1EEDD15D.jpeg

F0571DC1-BB62-4188-B774-42AFD37EF428.jpeg

DCDF0775-6C8D-4FA6-8C1C-2F7858DFA324.jpeg

I’ve finished taking mosaics off the walls. I bought a cheap wood chisel set, and used them to knock the tiles off the wall.5C216E0F-8669-463B-8F98-23BB97F4F6D0.jpeg It’s clear (now) that the bottom half of the wall hasn’t been hard plastered.

I thought I would use some Davco render to get myself a smooth surface for re-tiling. Chose Davco, because I’m going to use one of their tile glues.

Does anyone have thoughts on whether this is a good/bad idea?

It’s not obvious from this photo, but rust is a major problem in my place, and I’m going to have to cut the trough fixings off with an angle grinder, as they’re rusted in.

So, this is going to have gloss white tiles on the walls (250x450) and hopefully, porcelain grey aggregate on the floor - 600x300 if I can get the fall sorted out.

I started here because I want to put a full width bench in here, with a Stone Coat Epoxy finish - which I also plan to use in the kitchen - so this is for practice. 

More to come as this progresses, cheers :smile:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Laundry Reno — Update #1

Many thanks for the update @Mathy. Looking forward to seeing how you go with the floor. Let us know if you need a hand with anything.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Right, so feeling completely #Annoyed. The guy to grind the concrete, didn’t turn up at 8:00am on Monday as organised. Upon querying as to where he was, he was on another job, and he could get to me by 10:30am. Still hadn’t arrived by 10:40am so sent him a text and said “don’t bother”.

#Rant: Why do people make a time and then don’t turn up, and then don’t make the second time? Because they couldn’t ORGANISE themselves out of a paper bag and have poor time management skills. I’m the customer, and I won’t put up with this rubbish. #EndRant :smile:

So, the new guy who’s going to grind my concrete, would prefer to make one trip and deal with all areas. So, this thread is going to morph into a Laundry, Bathroom, Toilet - floor thread - temporarily 😂

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

OK! So today, I had concrete grinder #2 turn up and do his thing. I’m over the moon with the job he’s done, 4mm gone and almost zero dust. I’m not going to attempt posting pictures, as I’ve been having some issues and am awaiting potential solution to that problem.

However, it’s now onwards and upwards on this project, hopefully in a week I shall be able to post some photos of significant progress YAY!!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How are things going @Mathy? Be great to see some photos on the progress you've made. 

Jason

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Jason - slowly progressing. I’m having a bad time with my hands and wrists at the moment - have to pace myself. The end is in sight, upon which I will bless this discussion with some photos, cheers Deb :smile:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looking forward to seeing an update soon Deb (@Mathy).

Hope your hands and wrists are feeling better after some well-deserved rest.

Jason

@Mathy   This is my almost ever time situation with tradesmen.  

I book a person for a certain time, they don't show, I message no reply - so I get annoyed.  One guy get this put me off installing an air con for my workshop from November till January.  I mean WOW - WHAT THE grrr

Try  being a female, this is what I get all the time, and they wonder why we get annoyed.  What happened to respect?  Would they like me to do their tax returns and say sorry can't get it in by the 30th of June after all, no message till after I've chased and chased -  I will get to it August or Sept...  The day it's due to be lodged...  I always look at life as I treat people like I like to be treated myself....  Is that too hard to grasp?

Hope it all went well?

Cheers

Old Gal 

Moomarg
Getting Established

Re: Laundry reno

Your laundry is basically the same size as ours. Our back door is on one wall and facing it is our door into the kitchen. We’ve relocated our tumble drier outside under the verandah by the back door. I want a smaller tub with a bench over our front loader. We had our kitchen done in 2018 with Kaboodle and want our laundry to compliment it. We have a tiny house that we’ve lived in for over 50 yrs and defiant a modern one. Looking forward to seeing your finished room.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Laundry reno

Hi @Mathy,

Hope you are staying safe and well, and that you are faring better with your troublesome hands and wrists.

Just wanted to check in to see if you had an update on your laundry renovation that you could share with the community? As you can see by the visitor numbers, this has been a very popular project with other members. I'm currently preparing a Top 10 laundry projects article for the site and would love to feature your reno if it has been completed. 

Please let us know if you need a hand with anything.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects