Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low pressure..?

Maxtiger
Growing in Experience

Low pressure..?

Hi community! (sorry if not right post type but...)

I am putting a shower over bath in with a Low Pressure hot water system.

If this suitable? https://www.bunnings.co.nz/flexispray-aurora-slide-shower-wels-mains-3star-low-3star_p0274939

Thanks from Max

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Low pressure..?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Max (@Maxtiger). It's fantastic that you've joined us and many thanks for your question.

I've spoken to Methven NZ, and they have confirmed that the Flexispray Aurora Slide Shower WELs Mains 3Star Low 3Star is suitable for a low-pressure hot water system.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Maxtiger
Growing in Experience

Thanks what about their Bath shower diverters? Most of their Bunnings ones say MAINS only in NZ! Ta!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'll need to look into that further for you tomorrow @Maxtiger as it appears most suppliers in NZ have closed for the evening. However, I haven't been able to find any diverters that are for low pressure, and I believe this could be because they use a ceramic disc mixer on them. 

I'll investigate further and update you when I have an answer.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Maxtiger,

I did manage to find the Bliss Shower Mixer Diverter, which states it is suitable for low-pressure. 

It turns out the issue with diverters, and low-pressure systems are that the switch is generally spring-loaded and needs mains pressure to return it after being pressed. Our supplier Methven suggested that an option would be to install two low-pressure mixers, one for the bath and one for the shower. Here's the range of Methven mixers to choose from, under the specifications tab you can see details on their suitability for low pressure.

Mitchell

Hello @Maxtiger 

I've lived in NZ and totally sympathize with your current low pressure situation. My recommendation is to get a Shaw and mason spout with manual diverter. But I am not sure if you can get it there in NZ. Your only other option is to modify your bath spout with a diverter and link your shower hose to the spout. As it is a mechanical diversion your current water pressure will stay the same. I've put some pictures below to give you and idea. Good luck and stay safe.

Cool Banana's

Red

Screenshot_2021-02-16 Estilo Universal 1 Function Slide Shower.pngScreenshot_2021-02-16 Kinetic Eco Flow Shower Diverter.pngScreenshot_2021-02-16 Shaw Mason Chrome Bath Spout Diverter.png 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Maxtiger
Growing in Experience

Thanks! 

Yes we cannot get that Shaw & Mason here in NZ.

But I can get this..?

What do you think?

Very pricey though...

• Feltonmix wallset and mixing valve included - please specify pressure valve type on order

Maxtiger
Growing in Experience

Ok thanks!

Still looking at the rather narrow options!

Hello @Maxtiger 

Spoke to some of my mates over at NZ they recommend the Englefield Milano shower mixer with diverter. This unit will work with pressures as low as 75 kpa if you have unequal pressure in your house, you might have to have a flow restrictor in your cold line to equalize the pressure. Suffice to say this is the only one I can see you using barring a mechanical diverter. Remember to make sure that the shower head you purchase is for low pressure as well. Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

@Maxtiger,

I just wanted to make sure you noticed my suggestion of the Bliss Shower Mixer Diverter above. It is suitable for low pressure and more budget-friendly than the Felton unit you've linked to.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects