Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Many thoughts fighting : Bathroom reno

ck
Getting Established

Many thoughts fighting : Bathroom reno

Hello Everyone,

I am new in Bunnings workshop community.

Me and my wife trying to renovate our bathroom in budget in our ways because this reno story started with small crack then go worse in our shower base and bathtub.

Also from long time we were planing to do renovations bit by bit. but one and another responsibilities comes. Now this pandemic teach us like you have only one life, for sure take the responsibilities and fulfil it but also fulfil your dreams as well.  

Finally we did started. Some items we already bought but some still pending on progress can say....

-----

Problems are : start with

1. Shower Area :- I am going to add some pics so you guys get idea about shower base area. I did remove some plaster, tiles which you guys can see also base and under that is a whole. My old shower is 900mmx900mm. I want to upgrade in size and style so I bought 900 x 1200mm frameless sliding door shower screen.

Q 1 : howmuch cost is for fill up that whole ?  if I decide to go for tiling and if i go for shower base then howmuch cost?

# we ( me and my wife ) are still browsing for tiles just because we have different choices in start . so after we decide I let you know guys.

2. Vanity Area :- For vanity we have idea in our mind but we don't have a knowledge how we reach there. we are trying and now we got some references what we want but we stuck how we do that in our budget please help us.

90% we are decided our vanity (cabinet only) but we want top in timber with only 20% to 30% resin.

Frosted resin epoxy if I am not wrong. this is the name. you can see in the pic.

Vanity size we need max L700mm x W450mm max and H not sure because we planing for wall hung vanity - cabinet only from Bunnings, waiting for colour options. our basin size is L400mm x W360mm x H150mm. which we already bought. thats is a river stone basin.

So my plan to do change everything slowly slowly because of budget.   

At present we are doing our homework & getting other stuffs then I am going to discuss further about other things like bathroom tiles, floor Tiling, taps & fixers, Bathtub, lights, exhaust ( most because I did change many times )  and etc.

Please Guys help us in this project...

Photos :-

01 shower screen area pic

IMG_8041.jpg

02 Vanity area pic IMG_8042.jpg

IMG_8043.jpg

04 bath tub to blank wall area pic

IMG_8044.jpg

05 Resin frost colour ref. (highlight area) pic

IMG_8040.jpg

If you guys need anything more from my side to give proper guidance please let me know.

Now eagerly waiting for responses

Thanks Ck.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Many thoughts fighting : Bathroom reno

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ck. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

It's great to hear you have made the decision to start your project and you are indeed correct we only live once.

I'd encourage you to focus on one area at a time. If you get caught up in too many different things you'll lose track of what you should be focusing on. Currently, it looks like you are working on the shower and I would finish what you have started. You'll need to contact some professionals to get quotes on the works needed. You need several different trades to fix the shower so it might be worth getting a builder in who can organise them. You'll currently need a builder for the hole, water-proofer, plasterer and tiler. If a builder can do a few of those jobs it would be best. I'd start by getting a few quotes to see how much it will cost.

You might be interested in this discussion: Replacing kitchen and bathroom benchtops- River Red Gum by @Old-gal24. We also have a fantastic range of laminated timber panels which can be used as benchtops in the bathroom.

I would suggest your next step should be getting those walls re-plastered, water-proofing the floor and choosing the tiles you want.

We look forward to following along with your renovation and encourage you to let us know whenever you need assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ck
Getting Established

Great thoughts Mitchell,

Really thanks for catching what we go thru. you are right.

Those things happens when you jumps here and there. Thats why we decided to finish shower area as you said and vanity .

We want to work on Vanity, side by side because in shower area we cant do DIY anyways as you suggested so want to utilise our time to do

vanity area DIY. Thats loving part for us . We love to do DIY. And thats why I did attached 1 pic which is show you what we want. And really appreciate that

you found two areas for us where we can browse more. one is laminate timber panels from Bunnings and Old-gal24.

wooww thanks for this .

Reference Picture :- 

IMG_8040.jpg

I did attached that pic again which you can see in the middle round highlighted area . We need something like that. For that I need wood with lees holes. so I think timber panels is not suitable for this idea as its flat. but that Ola-gal24 that is perfect option. on that we can do DIY progress at home .

I mean to say resin and other stuffs to make same thing or similar. 

# there are the questions in my mind now....

1. which is the best wood type for this type of wet area and look.

2. which epoxy or resin I can use to make that same or similar effect like pic. (frosty transparent look)

3. can I get from the bunnings that resin products ?

4. From where can we get these type of timber slab which is recommended by you for wet areas. 

....and if any other parts or products which you think I am missing to complete this bench top Please do let me know.

waiting for positive responses,

Thanks Ck.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ck,

I need to let you know that transparent resin tables like the one you have pictured are a fairly advanced D.I.Y. project. Not necessarily because of the skills needed to create them but for the potential of the resin pour to fail. Professionals have issues with cracking of the resin, resin not setting and leakage from moulds all the time. If the resin does fail this can be a very expensive exercise as the resin itself will cost in the hundreds of dollars and your timber slab might not be able to be salvaged.

With that being said you'll find it helpful viewing some of the many step-by-step videos on creating resin and timber slab tabletops available on Youtube. If you are passionate about constructing one then I would encourage you to give it a go.

• You can use any type of wood as you are encasing it in resin and it will not be affected by the wet area.

•  You'll need to work out what thickness the tabletop will end up being and purchase a resin that will allow you to pour in that thickness. Some types of resins will need multiple layers poured to build up to that thickness. You'll find resins that will pour in thick layers will likely need a temperature-controlled environment to cure in preventing overheating and cracking. You'll also need to create a form or mould of your desired size, this encloses the timber slab and retains the resin until cured. In your supplied picture I presume that is not a frosty resin, but more-so a clear resin which is partway through the sanding process to achieve a clear transparent finish. If you wished to achieve a similar look you could sand your resin with 120grit sandpaper or add a white tint to your resin when pouring.

•  The resins stocked at Bunnings are more for art and craft projects or fibreglassing repairs. The type of resins used for pouring thick slabs can be sourced from boating suppliers and are likely something you'd need to order online.

•  Raw timber slabs can often be sort from timber mills and could be sourced from searching for timber slabs suppliers in your area.

Let me mention @LePallet as I know he has used some resin systems before and might be able to offer advice on your project.

Mitchell

ck
Getting Established

Hey Mitchell, 

Thanks for your true advises at the same time encouraging us to do DIY.

You are absolutely right for resin. but we do not want to do very huge area . just want some characters on vanity bench top.

so we are planing to do DIY small size vanity without top. Size : L 600mm x D 460mm. form Laminate Timber Panels  

and concept from DIY - Bunnings Vanity Ideas .

Can you tell me one thing Mitchell, As you said Bunnings products are more for arts & crafts so what I understood, it means small projects is that right?

I did find one product https://www.bunnings.com.au/protite-500g-clear-casting-embedding-fibreglass-resin_p1560654

in description they mention - "Also can be used to create jewellery, paper weights, souvenirs, cuff links, and for filling knot holes in table tops."

please let me know .

Also we did take your advice and side by side we did search who can make this for us in our budget but they are asking to much

because I just have 1 small slab in make to order for now and in the future for second bathroom.

so also I did try online similar somewhere for my vanity bench top like this : https://www.vidaxl.com.au/e/8718475533382/vidaxl-coffee-table-teak-resin-110x60x40-cm-black-and-brow...

Just I am concern about product quality. which you can see in one of the pic, I do not know is that only a pic error or some fault.

Please do share your opinions on this without hesitation. 

waiting for positive responses,

Thanks Ck.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ck

The Protite resin can be used for filling holes in timber. You'll need to pour layers of 5-10mm at a time and wait for them to cure before pouring more. It is generally used for small projects like jewellery, paperweights etc. With patience and care, you can use it to create larger items but it will require multiple applications of the product.

I've used this product to cover the crayon inlay on this project: Crayon inlay coffee table. I filled the lines which were about 10mm wide and 5mm deep. It worked quite well for this application. In saying that, I did not have to do multiple layers of the product.

This product will work well for filling knotholes, cracks or voids but if you wish to have large clear areas of tabletop then you might run into difficulties. If you post some images of different pieces of timber you wish to fill I can let you know if I think this product is suitable for your use.

Mitchell

Crayon table.png

ck
Getting Established

Hello Mitchell,

great work. very impressive looks amazing. Did you make that lines 1st and then fill that up? because this is flat panel I think.!!

Also very stunning photography as well.

Please Mitchell give your opinion on https://www.vidaxl.com.au/e/8718475533382/vidaxl-coffee-table-teak-resin-110x60x40-cm-black-and-brow...

this product .  

Waiting for positive responses,

Thanks Ck.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ck

router was used to cut grooves into the flat panel, I then melted coloured crayon into the channel and filled it up flush to the surface with Protite 500g Clear Casting Embedding Fibreglass Resin

I apologise as I can't provide an opinion on products that Bunnings doesn't sell. Perhaps our helpful community members might have had some experience with that particular product and would like to share their thoughts. 

Mitchell

ck
Getting Established

Hello Mitchell,

extremely sorry first of all.

I dont know somehow I wasn't able to connecte in Bunnings workshop community from few days.

I did connect with Jason in Bunnings workshop management and he help methru and finally today my issue is solve.

Now we are back on track and thanks for help and I understand your part.

so I am planing to order. Let see after product arrive we go from there.

Thanks Ck.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@ck,

I'm glad to hear everything is back on track. Please keep us updated on your progress as I trust our members will be interested in your results.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects