Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need help to find formica or laminex for bathroom - old style 3mm deep

Janina_G
Having an Impact

Need help to find formica or laminex for bathroom - old style 3mm deep

I am a dimwit...  Was able to work on bathroom,  AND I DO NOT WANT TO PAINT IT or have tiles,  hate both.

My dads old house had around bath formica as I think laminate came later and for me it was fabulous....no mould, easy cleaning etc.

Well I have struck a snag,  cannot find any to fit my budge...

My bathroom is tiny,  [with toilet within- which was better than in kitchen]   We have re used the old insulation,  have added more light by reusing the old shower doors as 2 long windows....

No one is going to want to stay long in there,  wo will save on power and water costs....LOL

These measurements of room are 3160 x 1630,  the highest point is 3000 and lowest height is 2470 width of bathroom is 72.5  the old style narrow and deep.[and it is 1040s green]

Have lino/vynal given to me light gray squares with a little diamon at each join,  and the windows have black handle....

I was looking forward to buy 3mm formica/laminte sheets and covering all the walls so I didnt have to do any painting....  I hate paint with oil...  The ceiling is white - special stuff - cant remember name but looks like narow corrogated iron with tiny holes and helps with sound proofing etc.

Now all i need is to find some new or seconhand formic/laminate.....  the only ones I have found it is going to cost around $1000 to cover all the walls.... bugga.... didnt take that into consideration.

Most of the formica/laminate is not in Victoia...  what kind of stores  would stock secondhand or what exactly would I need to be looking.

Maybe another option is to by a 2 wall corner shower thingy with no bottom to give me waterproofing.  and then bit my tongue and paint the rest.

Hope i dont have to do this.

Is there any other waterproof product that i can use...... I am not look for a modern bathroom,   I quite like the quaint 1940's with toilet within.....

Any ideas anyone....  i am in Latrobe Valley so only Bunnings and thenBunnings Wall Art 2400 x 1200 x 3mm $198 Milano Linear [plain]Wet Area Wall Panel seems to be the least expensive, and if I did my calculation correctly,  it will be about $1000.

Would like to spend half of that.

Hope I have made anough sense with the descroption above

Cheers   Hope some knows  someway to get around this  hole I have dug for myself....LOL  or I will cry

janina

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

Re: Need help to find formica or laminex for bathroom - old style 3mm deep

Have you tried salvage yards. We have 2 not far from us (WA though) and they both had sheets available.
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Totally agree with darylhewston, salvage yards for sure.
In fact rather than keep contacting several of them, let them know what you're interested in, & get them to contact you if something comes in. It works both ways, as they may normally discard stuff that they don't think will be a big seller (storage costs money), but if they pencil in your interest, they'll keep an eye out for what you need, thinking that they have a good chance of an instant sale.

Thanks DarylHewson,   Didnt think of that till next day,  as we dont have many salvage.

But was talking to the cabinetmaker great nephew of the house i live in, and he pointed out that where was one in Moe,  But will look around for more.

Could alway try out local council  as they collect and recycle majority of what they collect.

Thanks for the tip,  appreciated..

Janina

Thanks Andy_Man,

Sounds great,  though will have to see if we have more than one...

Now I just have to work out how much I would need 2 walls are 3160x3000 and 2 walls re 3160x1630.,,,  do I muliply 3160x300 and x by 2? and same with other size?

I could - if I dont find enough-  do what my dad did just had it around the bath and oil painted the rest..   Though these days I might find a better painting product as I HATE painting will oil.

Would anyone body know it you can just buy plastic or similar waterproofing just sor the bathe surrounds in mould piece,  did see same for showers by only 90 x 90 so wouldnt cover the lengthe of bathroom...

AND I saw a toilet in the same colour green as the 40's  bugga  and I bought a nice new white one..

Thanks for the tips,  appreciated,  Am now listening to the rain after a nice day.  so another messy day working tomorrow....

Thanks heaps guys

Janina

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects