Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Options for combing shower with bath?

Alice3
Just Starting Out

Options for combing shower with bath?

what are my options in the way of bath tubs if I wanted to have my shower in my bath. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: shower bath combined

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Alice3. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about combined showers and baths.

A shower can be added above most standard in-built bathtubs. For free-standing bathtubs, it's a little bit more difficult as they don't capture the water as efficiently, and you cannot add a screen. I have seen free-standing tubs combined with a curtain rail system and the curtains draped into the bath, though.

The first step would be to have a plumber relocate the plumbing and install the new shower head and taps in an appropriate location above your new bath. You'll also need to consult with a qualified waterproofer to ensure the bath surrounds are adequately waterproofed. 

Next, a screen is installed along the edge of the bath on the shower head side to ensure no water is sprayed onto the floor. As mentioned previously, a shower curtain on a rail can also be used. 

If you want to use a freestanding bath, you might like to consult with a waterproofer and tiler about creating a full wet area surrounding the tub. A wet area ensures any overspray is directed to a drain efficiently.

Let me mention one of our knowledgeable members @Vis-á-vis to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Vis-á-vis
Having an Impact

Hi Alice,

Can you provide more details about your project? Are you looking to install a shower over an existing bath or are you doing a complete bathroom build/renovation and wanting to have this feature?

Alice3
Just Starting Out

Hi Mitchell,

thank you for your quick response to my query.  I don’t want to put a free standing bath in for the reasons you mentioned.  I guess my question was really relating to which  bath tub in you collection would be suitable as a bath to shower in as well. From my understanding it needs to be strong enough to withstand the weight of someone standing in a particular spot repeatedly and it should be as wide as possible.  The only one that I could see specifically for what I want is one that costs $6000 which is specifically built for this purpose and has a door to go through instead of stepping over which is not necessary in my case.  Also I don’t have $6000 for the bath alone.  

Hello Vis-á-vis,

I am wanting to rip out the existing bath and shower base and putting a bath tub suitable for showering in.  Something wide enough and strong enough to withstand the constant weight of someone standing in the same spot.  I also don’t want to spend the $6000 on the bath tub you have specifically built for this purpose with a door. 
thank you 

Alice 

Hi @Alice3,

You'll find that some baths are more suited to shower baths than others. You should choose a bath style with a relatively flat bottom and stick away from narrow baths with a curved base. If you can find one with an anti-slip bottom, all the better. Something like this Caroma 1525mm Vivas Anti Slip Bath would be ideal.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects