Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting a shower base

Max1
Getting Established

Painting a shower base

hi I need a bit of advice

I want to paint my shower base but am not quite sure what it is made of

it would be about 30 years old if not more

can I use White Knight tub and basin paint on it

as you can see by picture it is in pretty bad condition

replacing it is not an option

can anyone help 

7D48020F-5AAD-4736-816F-182F87126290.jpeg

gloriavee
Getting Established

Re: painting a shower base

20211011_010058.jpgHi,

I've got no idea what type of shower basin I've got. Needs a paint desperately.  Is White Knight the only product? I see that is what is used. I would have to do it myself. No experience in painting shower basins. Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thank you. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting a shower base

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @gloriavee. It's wonderful that you've joined us, and many thanks for the question about rejuvenating your shower base.

If a magnet sticks to the shower base, it is likely cast iron, and White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint would be suitable. If the base is not metal, there are no products currently in our range that suit fibreglass or acrylic trays. These trays flex and can compromise coatings applied to them. 

If the tray is cast iron, I'd be happy to walk you through the coating process.

Mitchell 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SAA
Getting Established

Hi There, appreciate any advice and apologies if already answered here. We have an on-site van and noticed the shower basin has flaked a little. I used a magnet and checked if this was a metal basin (under the paint) and it was magnetic. Photos attached. What would be suitable please 

DF98DFC7-E83D-400F-B666-18DDCB4A7444.jpeg

A995B901-EE2D-4A91-9780-B564933C1A89.jpeg

 thanks again and appreciate your thoughts. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @SAA

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion and sharing your question about painting the shower tray in the onsite van.

Using a magnet is an excellent method of finding out what kind of shower tray you have. As mentioned in the post using White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint will work with your metal shower tray. I strongly suggest testing for lead using the 3M Instant Lead Test Kit - 2 Swabs. If lead is present please make sure to use proper PPE before sanding down the tray. Please make sure to follow the prep instructions in the packet before painting the tray.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

SAA
Getting Established

Thanks @EricL 

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

Hi there, I was just looking at your shower base it looks a bit like mine but I always take the shower mat out and clean the base and mat.  I too am sick of looking at the same colour (pink) and I know Bunnings have a special paint for showers and the like , so perhaps I might join you in updating the base of your shower. Now remember no one can see in the shower except you so go crazy. I am thinking of a bright yellow but with depth, I suppose I would just call it a medium yellow. . This is all the information my friend on the paint department has to go off but he always seems to get it right. One more thing are your tiles going to change too.There is no point painting the base if the tiles stay the same. I always love blue and yellow but we don’t want green (mould) do we. What about pale yellow with the medium. No! ?Ok what about white tiles and a yellow base. I am too old now to care ,I would still go for any colours that make me  smile.my mum always said it doesn’t matter what you have as long as you keep it clean.. That said I am not your usual old pensioner. I am up for a challenge. b🌺

SAA
Getting Established

1603A808-5AAF-4525-900C-D8AC92C1CF74.jpeg

Hi @EricL 

thanks again for your advice. I quick but possibly silly question. I have just out on the second application and seems to still be a bit patchey (still slightly see the metal base/tray). Am I going to need to keep adding a later on until gone or is there another paint I can apply over the top to finish it off (a little like the photo above colour in my original post)? Also as it runs a little on the sides downwards. Thanks in advance 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @SAA

Thank you for posting that photo update. I suggest waiting for the first coat to cure properly before applying the second coat. If the second coat does not cover the blemishes, you might have to put on a third coat. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your shower tray fully painted and ready for use.

Eric

SAA
Getting Established

Hi @EricL  the following photo is actually the third coat this morning and still have blemishes. I am loathed to buy another tub & basin kit tbh. Once this has dried is there another paint I can paint straight over? 

2D93FF56-8CCA-4FB7-B5B7-717DB7CACB0E.jpeg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Painter I am not - but on the far right - it looks like there could be silicone residue preventing the paint from adhering?

Silicone.PNG

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects