Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Panelling in wet areas

JodieB
Finding My Feet

Panelling in wet areas

Hi there!! I'm about to undertake an ensuite makeover tiling over the existing sound but unattractive floor tiles, replacing the vanity benchtop and basin and using vj/matchboard panelling on the walls. I've hunted high and low to find a product that has a similar look which can be used in a shower alcove but haven't been successful. I've encountered a couple of renovations that have used shiplap and used marine grade products to seal each board then caulked in between etc however this seems labour intensive and there's no guarantee it will work.  I'm just wondering if there is a product available to use?

Many thanks!!

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Panelling in wet areas

Welcome @JodieB. Sounds like a fantastic project and we look forward to following along.

@Joe3333 talked about using water-resistant VJ panelling in this Laundry, shower and toilet makeover and may be able to share more about the materials used in this project. Our resident D.I.Y. experts @EricL and @MitchellMc will also be happy to help.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Stevie

Thanks for replying so quickly!!

I did have a look at the renovationby @Joe3333 however tiles were used in the shower alcove not panelling. 

I'm thinking it probably isn't possible but welcome any advice. 

Cheers Jodie 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JodieB

If you're after that certain look, you could get close to it by cutting a tile lengthwise to be the same size as the EasyVJ panel. Just be aware that it will have joins. However, visually speaking it would blend in with the rest of the bathroom. You would need conservatively a tile that is perhaps around 120mm by 600mm in height. If tiled standing up you will be able to create that illusion of being one with the rest of the bathroom design. It sounds like a fantastic project. Any updates you can provide would be much appreciated.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.  

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects