Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Poll: Could you live without a bath in your house?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Poll: Could you live without a bath in your house?

A bath can be very relaxing after a long, hard day.

But many people these days are choosing to save space in their bathroom and install a luxurious shower rather than cramming in a bath.

Could you live without a bath in your house?

Let us know by voting in the latest Workshop poll. You'll find the poll on the front page of the site. 

Feel free to also discuss why you can or can't live without a bath by reply below.

Thanks for joining in the discussion. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: Poll: Could you live without a bath in your house?

Apparently it's crucial to get a bathroom right - http://www.domain.com.au/news/why-bathroom-design-can-make-or-break-a-house-20160908-gr0vo2/

The interior designer is a bit biased against DIYer's though!

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Isobel, I agree, the article is there to put doubt in the minds of DIYers, then to pump up their own importance, & promote expensive tradies, they're preying on insecurities.

Something I noticed, was that there was no coverage of a whole bathroom, they're all cropped snippets of different bathrooms. If I were an interior photographer, I'd definitely have a Shift Tilt wide angle lenses (eliminates barrel distortion) in my gear bag.

Something more amazing through their absence, were double vanities. What's with that?

The 2nd pick featured a floor tile that I wouldn't pick a single day's use, let alone think I'd nailed a future-proofing statement.

Going by the grain orientation of the 4th pic, I'm thinking that it's either a veneer finished, or at best, a dressed 3mm finish, like on a quality floating floor.

Pic #5, if you had to engage a designer to come up with that, you're earning too much, or are braindead.

Pic #6 does show some continuity, in that it expands on pic #2, but Woooah!!!!!, the designer's lavished you with a single pedastal sink, & that's it?

Pic #7, is that stool the only one allowed in design school?

The final pic is a cracker, are they showcasing the work of an incompitent DIYer? I mean, the orange & white reflection is hideous, there's no marble benchtop, & only one basin, but that may've been a sacrifice they had to make to have the floor pedal controlled, motorised vanity drawers.

This is a personal gripe of mine, but why the heck spend a lot of money on a reno, that may appeal to a buyer down the track? For crying out aloud, it's your money, do the reno that fits you.

To me, it's like opting for a factory endorsed dash mat on a luxury car when the deal's being negotiated, with the later expectation of removing it when you choose to onsell, to expose a pristine vinyl dash.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

The majority of Workshop members would be happy to live without a bath in their house according to the results of our latest community poll.

Here are the results:

LiveWithoutPoll.png

Many thanks for joining in the discussion.

Jason

Same here, we do have a rather large bathroom and I find that it just takes up space and collects dust so to speak. My children don't use it all that often, showing is quick and easy.... And of course less water usage 

MissStuck
Finding My Feet

Hi There,

I bought a house without a bath and have lived very happily without one for 10 years now. For something that only got used in my house in winter about 5 times and the rest of the year collected dust and hair it was no great loss not to have to clean it weekly! And quite frankly, I haven't missed it a bit

Having said that now that I am renovating and possibly selling in 3-5 years it has been bought to my attention by real estate agent - it depends on what market I am selling to... meaning its a 3 x2 - if my market is a family with 2 small children (schools galore around me) then yes, a Mum will be looking to have a bath.

If on the other hand I am looking at market for down sizers and older then No - they usually don't want a bath as it's cumbersome for them and most prefer a walk in shower. But I asked the question what about grandchildren?..There are ways around that so no problem.

But here's the uncertainty - Wouldn't you want 100% of people to look at your house if you were selling it - instead of half dismissing it because it didn't have a bath?

I'm facing this and will probably put in a bath - for someone else - who can then take it out if they don't want it! Crazy! 

Think carefully about resale and how long your house could sit on the market - if its a big family home 4x2 then I would suggest you definitely keep a bath in the family bathroom

Many thanks for joining in the discussion @MissStuck. Good luck with making your decision and all of your renovation works. We are looking forward to seeing what you do with your place. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or some advice from our community members. We have clever and creative members sharing wonderful advice and inspiring projects on the site every day. It's great to have you join us.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects