Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Privacy door knob broken and cannot remove

dragon
Finding My Feet

Privacy door knob broken and cannot remove

Please help, privacy door knob set is broken inside & locked out of the loo.

There are no screws or holes to get knob off.

have tried plastic to try to unlatch the tongue with no luck.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Privacy door knob broken and cannot remove

Hello @dragon

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about your broken door knob.

I'm sorry to hear that the door know has malfunctioned. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the doorknob? This will allow us to identify it and give you a comprehensive recommendation on how to open it. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for replying Eric.

i can't seem to get an image to work, ph might be too old?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @dragon

You can email the photos to workshop@bunnings.com.au and I can have a look at them from there. In the meantime, I suggest trying to investigate if the handle is loose or has come off. I recommend trying these methods. Push the handle towards the door and try and twist the knob to see if it will still engage the barrel mechanism. Most privacy locks have an emergency feature that you can use to open the door if accidentally locked from the inside. Let me investigate my doorknob here at home and see if I can assist you.

Eric

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

If you have something like this you can use a screwdriver in the slot to open it.

68d41aff-3876-4a73-b46b-80d5c6890611.jpeg

Have sent 2 Eeic

dragon
Finding My Feet

Thanks Brad, tried that one first, no go, fairly sure whatever's broken inside is the part to retract the tongue

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Was worth a try will wait on photo from Eric.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @dragon 

Thank you for sending the photo. I suggest screwing the cover flange back on. Look carefully at the axle assembly of the doorknob. You will see an access hole. Using a sharp object, I suggest pressing the release latch on the hole. This will allow you to remove the front doorknob. Often times if the emergency release does not work the spindle connecting it is broken.

Once you have the doorknob removed you can use 200mm Long Nose Pliers to twist the locking spindle and open the door. I've placed your photo and a diagram below to indicate where to look. If there is no access hole, the only option I see is to remove the doorknob by force to access the lock.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

dragon knob.jpgdragon knob 1.jpg

There is no hole Eric, I suspect it's on the inside.

How would you suggest getting knob off?

Id thought of tying to saw it off, not sure if a fret saw would work, limited space & strength on my part.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects