Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Privacy door knob broken and cannot remove

dragon
Finding My Feet

Privacy door knob broken and cannot remove

Please help, privacy door knob set is broken inside & locked out of the loo.

There are no screws or holes to get knob off.

have tried plastic to try to unlatch the tongue with no luck.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Privacy door knob broken and cannot remove

Hello @dragon 

I recommend using a Trojan 300mm Tubular Hack Saw or the Trojan 300mm Mini Hack Saw. These saws should make short work of your doorknob. I recommend cutting the knob from right to left allowing you maximum room to use the Hack Saw. You will notice that when you're halfway through the knob is actually made of very thin steel and you should be able to tear it off with a bit of effort. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing the doorknob removed.

Let me tag our experienced members @tom_builds  and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Ok, I'll get to Bunnings & get a saw & have a go. So just go through the softer part not the thicker threaded bit?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dragon

Yes, see if you can cut through the soft part if you can reach it with your Hack Saw. Cutting through the soft part should make it easier for you to access the locking mechanism from the center of the lock. While at the store I suggest replacing your doorknob with a Syneco Brushed Nickel Ruby Privacy Set. It is fully adjustable and will work with your current door.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @dragon I hope @EricL 's suggestions do the trick. One other cause of such doors locking shut is if one of the side screws that hold the lock mechanism into the door,  works loose and protrudes out the side, jamming it shut. I hope that's not the problem, but if it seems like a possibility, you would have to use the plastic card through the slot trick, except push it in higher and slide it downwards to try to get the screw back in enough. If that doesn't do it, try going lower than the lock and sliding the card upwards. If you have an old dog or cat cone (aka Elizabethan Collar), the plastic cut from those makes an excellent tool for this. It is strong, fairly thin and more flexible than a credit card.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects