Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Relocation of European laundry on slab floor

sebas
Finding My Feet

Relocation of European laundry on slab floor

4F151D47-8F61-4612-A3DD-0D4C6A59945B.jpeg

54292C52-2352-40EB-A5A9-E85A11150E4A.jpeg

BE4CA742-CA36-4526-8651-2911613FC0CF.jpeg

F2701841-4F8E-420D-80E2-8AEF77782433.jpeg

55B2D430-D776-4211-854D-D7173CA6AAF4.jpeg

B652B406-6E3E-4A6E-8A0D-B60DD789AAEB.jpeg

5E50255E-27BC-40A8-86D3-CD5836D397C7.jpeg

Hi group quick question - I’m looking at the this house and it currently has a euro laundry in the kitchen … right next door to it is a under stair storage area that is longer and wider than where the current euro laundry is at the moment … I think having the euro laundry where it is - is such a waste of cupboard space as it only leaves one single pantry in the whole kitchen since the laundry is taking up valuable space- I don’t know why they would have put it in the kitchen ?  … Is it easy and not too costly to 1 - move the euro laundry to the store room next too it ie could I somehow have a plumber connect to the exiting pipes through the wall and make a new euro in the current storage area OR even better this house I feel was originally meant to have the euro laundry in the garage as the garage is longer than most standard single garage (see image)- what is the process to create a euro laundry in a garage on a slab - I don’t think it know if plumbing is in there and may need to be installed . Any cost ideas. I’ve added some photos. Surely this is a common issue? 

If anyone has contacts or images of similar It would be appreciated

thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Relocation of European laundry on slab floor

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sebas. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about moving a laundry.

It's certainly possible to move the laundry across to the storeroom. However, with a 1000mm depth, it will be quite tight whilst accessing the washing machine and any cabinetry you place in there. If you were to use 600mm base cabinets, the doors are 300mm, and you'll just be able to open them. 450mm base cabinets have 450mm doors, and you won't be able to open them fully as once the cabinetry is in, you'll only have 395mm in front of it to the wall.

What about leaving the laundry where it is and turning the storage into a walk-in pantry? If you were to use pantry cupboards and not install their doors, then you'd have a 400mm walkway in front of them. Still tight, but I feel more functional than a laundry in such a small space.

Ultimately, I think the best and likely most costly option would be to move the laundry to the garage. As mentioned, it appears you have plenty of space at the end of the garage. It would be difficult to offer ideas on the cost of such work. Your best bet is to have a few quotes done to give you a general idea. If you were to do all the work yourself apart from the plumbing, then it might cost several hundred dollars to get the plumbing moved to the store room or a couple of thousand to have water plumbed to the garage. However, the cost really depends on a number of factors.

Creating the Euro laundry in the garage is relatively simple. The wall would need cabinets placed along it, and the Kaboodle planner is a great tool to get an idea of what you'd like the layout to be. You'd then possibly need some partition walls installed on either side and sliding, or hinged doors added.

Here's a helpful guide on How to plan a laundry renovation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Open.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks —yes I was thinking if the store room is big enough but it’s actually bigger than it’s current spot… I do like the idea of the garage but because it’s on a slab I am unsure if this will be 3-5k job or more ? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The store room is bigger @sebas, but it's enclosed. The current location doesn't have the hindrance of the wall in front of the cabinetry. Were you thinking of removing the storeroom wall and adding openable doors? That would certainly work.

You'll need to obtain some quotes to determine this project's cost. It could become costly if the pipework needs to be routed through the slab or brick wall to the garage.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects