Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replacing a Caroma Mini Uniset toilet

Cath_Home_Reno
Finding My Feet

Replacing a Caroma Mini Uniset toilet

I have a Caroma Mini Uniset toilet cistern in my ensuite. It is about 20 years old and a bit tired looking. I was looking to replace it but have been told that this uniti not longer manufactured and the Caroma Uniset II is the closest. However I will have to drill new holes to mount the new unit. Has anyone had any experience doing this? I do not want to have this job turn into a major renovation.  Any experience will be most welcome. 

Viren
Finding My Feet

Re: Replacing a Caroma Mini Uniset toilet

The video comes up as private.  Is there another link?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Viren

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us and thank you for sharing your query about the Caroma mini Uniset.

Unfortunately, that video is no longer available. However, if you're planning on replacing your cistern with for example a Stylus WELS 3 Star 4L/min Allegro Plastic Cistern. It comes with an instructional pamphlet on how to attach and mount it to an existing toilet suite. However, it all depends on what kind of cistern you currently have. There are a few things to take into consideration before replacing your cistern. The number of litres the cistern will flush, size and location, mounting holes for the cistern, and overall compatibility to the existing pan. 

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your existing toilet? We'll then have a better idea of its condition. Our members can then offer you a comprehensive recommendation on how to replace your cistern. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to post them. 

We look forward to seeing the photos.    

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Viren
Finding My Feet

20220111_075854.jpg

Hi Eric

I think that these are the Caroma Uniset. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Replacing your cistern is a reasonably straightforward process, which we can guide you through @Viren. Before you start, make sure that you can do such work yourself in your location. Most locations around Australia will require a qualified plumber to install a cistern.

The first step will be isolating the toilet or turning off your mains water supply. Flush the toilet to empty the cistern. 

Next, remove the cistern lid by pushing, prying and pulling upwards around its perimeter. You will also need to remove the cover plate, which conceals the flush pipe between the pan and cistern. This should unclip and pull away. With the cover plate removed, you'll have exposed a nut on the underside of the cistern and a rubber boot on the back of the pan. These are used to hold the flush pipe in position. Undo the nut and wriggle the pipe out of the cistern and pan.

Detach the water inlet hose from the bottom of the cistern with an adjustable spanner.

The only thing holding the cistern in position now will be the fixings located on the rear internal wall of the cistern. Undo these, and the cistern will come away from the wall. Installation of the new cistern is the opposite and, as @EricL mentioned, detailed instructions will be included with the product.

Please let us know if you have any questions or get stuck.

Mitchell

Thanks you for your instructions on how to change the cistern.

Do you know which set will match the Caroma uniset that I am replacing.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Viren

The compatible replacement set is the Caroma WELS 3 Star 4L/min White Uniset Il Cistern. This is the updated version of the Caroma Uniset, however, I suggest measuring your old cistern in order to compare it with the new one. The new cistern has a size of 530 (W) x 420 (H) x 190 (D). Please call your local store to make sure that they have it in stock before proceeding. If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. Any updates you can provide would be much appreciated.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects