Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Shower Door Kit 865mm

BenN1
Growing in Experience

Shower Door Kit 865mm

Hi All,

Glad to join the community. Wishing I knew about this before I started renovating my bathroom.

I’ve almost finished renovating my en-suite. Replaced the shower with tile-over and frameless screen. I bought the SHOWER PANEL F/LESS DLUCCI++10X2000X865MM TF GLASS DR KIT^ from Bunnings. The other screen and shower base (underneath the tiles) were also from Bunnings.

Having a few questions that I’m hoping to get some help from the community (photos below):

1. How to deal with the gap between the two sub-pannels within the 865cm panel? Thinking of some seal strips. Any recommendations? 

2. I just looked at the reviews of this production at Bunnings website and found some serious concerns on quality and safety. One mentioned his screen shattered in thousands of pieces. Just wondering how safe is the product or anything we should or should not do to ensure the safety.

3. I reused the mirror. The bottom side has some scratches and stains due to it previously being fixed to a splash back. The mirror is slightly overhung at the top. My handyman told me it was unavoidable due to the hooks. I’m thinking of a white frame which will fix both issues. Do you think that is a good idea? Any recommendations on what I could use to make the frames?

Thanks in advance.

Ben

A0027F00-708C-4E98-9193-5B3347128F37.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Shower Door Kit 865mm

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @BenN1. It's sensational that you've joined us, and many thanks for the questions surrounding your renovation.

We've discussed sealing the gap between shower panels before, and you'll find my recommendations here: How to install shower door seal? by @Yvonne2. It should be a simple job of installing a Sandelford 10 x 2200mm Shower Seal Strip in that location. In that thread, I go into detail about how to customise the strip to fit around your hinges.

As with any glass panel, they could potentially break if a hard object is forcefully hit against them. It would be a rare occurrence for a shower screen to spontaneously break and would likely be due to extreme house movement or other factors. Shattering into cube and rounded pieces in the event of breakage is a feature of tempered safety glass, which means it's far less likely to injure someone. Older non-compliant float glass panels (which aren't used in shower screens) break into shards and are highly dangerous. Tempered glass, otherwise known as toughened glass, goes through a process of heating and rapid cooling that leaves it much more durable than annealed glass. The best advice I could give would be not to hit hard objects against the edges of the glass where it is most vulnerable to breakage.

Your idea of creating a frame around the mirror certainly sounds like it would solve the issue with it. I'd suggest a hardwood for this purpose, and we have Porta picture frame moulding, which could be used. You could create a nice effect by painting the timber white. The benefit of using a picture frame moulding over a flat piece of timber is that the lip on them will cover that tapered section around the mirror's perimeter. Otherwise, they'll be a slight gap between the flat timber sitting on the surface of the mirror and the drop of the taper. I've found these Trojan 75mm Mitre And Corner Clamps useful for building frames as they hold your corners square.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BenN1
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell for your reply. Very detailed and helpful. Much appreciated!

Cheers

Ben

BenN1
Growing in Experience

B3F76569-5EC4-442A-8B49-05B17F1215A5.png

179E0D07-943B-4F66-A73B-66B7731EDB64.png

F6ABA338-A5E5-4BD1-8D1D-6D58F521641B.png

Hi @MitchellMc , just found out a quite significant issue that I was hoping to get some advice from you.

Having tested the shower, it appears the water didn’t properly drained resulting in flows outside the shower. See attached video.

Background:

We bought the tile-over shower tray from Bunnings,

TILE TRAY GRATE++900X1200X60MM, item no. 4890682.

Tiles were done over the tray following the slope of the tray. 

Initially I thought it was due to the waste strip being too narrow. Removed the waste strip, the issue didn’t go away.

My tiler said it was due to the slope of the tiles was not good enough. He recommended to redo the tiling to increase the slope towards the waste. 

Just wondering what could possibly go wrong and what could be the options to get this fixed. If retiling, any recommendations of the required slope to ensure water properly flows towards the waste.

Thanks

P/S.: Unable to upload a video. Please see below some photos.

42044567-F194-48BC-BF12-1A95034B670A.jpeg

Ben

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @BenN1,

There's a few reasons why you could be seeing this issue. As you've suggested, let's start from the ground up. If you could email your images to Bellessi at enquiries@bellessi.com.au their technical and warranty team would like to take a look at them for you in case there is an issue with the product or installation. Please include your Bunnings Special Order number from your receipt. If you are missing this, I'd be happy to track it down for you. Just let me know. Once we hear back from them, we'll be better placed to diagnose what other issues might have occurred.

As I understand it, there is water pooling on the shower floor and not draining. From your images, it appears as if this water is escaping past the shower screen. This could also be an issue. Is there a drop in height between the bathroom tiles and the shower recess or an installed water stop trim around the shower's perimeter? For showers where there is no hob or step-down, at the extremity of the shower area where a shower screen is to be installed, a water stop is to be installed with a vertical leg finishing a minimum of 5mm above the finished floor level.

The L or T shaped aluminium trim is glued directly to the substrate, and waterproofing is bought up to it. Where it joins to the wall, it is also to be waterproofed. The tiles are then laid up to the vertical leg. This vertical leg must finish at a minimum of 5mm above the tile. Your shower screen is then installed next to the trim.

For shower floors without a vertical separation, the minimum fall is 1:80. That's from the edge of the shower to the drain.

The reason for mentioning this is that water doesn't necessarily run straight down the drain, it can pool around for a while from surface tension before eventually heading in the right direction. The step-down or water stop on a hobless shower prevents this water from creeping under frameless and framed shower screens. You'll need a pooling of water 5mm height to escape these preventative measures and any fall to the tray should more than prevent this. 

But, let not get too far ahead of ourselves. Let's see what Bellessi says and we can work from there.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects