Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Shower ceiling repair

Warren1
Finding My Feet

Shower ceiling repair

Need to repair plasterboard ceiling in shower recess of bathroom.  Damage was caused by rain water coming through roof down exhaust vent.  This has been repaired by roof plumbing contractor.  I am an electrician.  My proposed method of repair, remove exhaust fan and shower light.  Cut out a rectangular section of existing ceiling including hemp grouting locking plasterboard onto ceiling joists.  Replace with 10mm thick gyprock to same dimensions using gyprock screws into ceiling joists. (pre-cut exhaust fan hole) Allow small gap for applying the fiberglass tape then plaster to seal new gyprock to existing plasterboard.  Sand back. Apply another thin layer of plaster, smooth off before applying sealer coat and then finish coat.  Replace light and exhaust fan.

Refer photos.

Please advise if the proposed repair method needs changing.  Is gyprock a suitable repair medium, is it compatible with plasterboard?

IMG_0970.JPGIMG_0972.JPGIMG_0975.JPG

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Re: Shower Ceiling Repair

Hi @Warren1 - looks like a feasible plan to me, and very thorough. My only additional suggestion would be to use a ceiling paint with a mould inhibitor in it. At Bunnings, the Taubmans ceiling paint is the one with a anti-mould properties. Do show us how it turns out, cheers Deb :smile:

Deb, I bought a Gyprock section from Bunnings, cut it to size 400x540.  Cut out damaged section of old ceiling,  Cut wooden battens to size and screw them to existing ceiling allowing half of width to extend.  Fit new ceiling section then screw onto batten overhang.    Sand back original ceiling paint then apply Gyprock Multi Purpose Joint Compound  and flush off.  Sand back to smooth then finish with Gyprock Final Finish compound.  Sand back to smooth then apply 2 coats of ceiling paint.

Refer photo.IMG_0976.JPG

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Looks good mate 👍
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great job @Warren1, well done. Looking forward to seeing your next project. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. I'm sure other members of the Workshop community will be particularly keen to tap into your knowledge and experience as an electrician. Hopefully you will also find plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration for your projects from our clever and creative members. 

Welcome to Workshop,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects