Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Shower screen & door cleaning

GlenH
Just Starting Out

Shower screen & door cleaning

Hello, 

Looking for cleaning solution for a shower screen and door, it appears to be built up condensation that has evolved to mold.

My last resort is dismantling the sides and remove the glass in order to clean them.

I've heard some water/vinegar soaked paper towels resting up against the glass might work but thought I would reach out to the community for help :smile:

20211128_163358.jpg20211128_163408.jpg 

grahamk
Just Starting Out

Re: Shower screen & door cleaning

we got a product called Shower Power spray from Pac n Save, it was used to clean the mould off the grout and it does wonders on the glass as well

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @GlenH. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing mould from shower screens.

Is the mould inside the glass panel? If so, I'd presume that it is older laminated glass instead of the newer toughened glass. Laminated glass is susceptible to moisture penetration if the panes of glass become delaminated over time. This appears to be the case here, and mould has crept in between and is growing in the laminations. It's a common issue, and there are not a whole heap of solutions apart from replacement.

If the mould is growing inside the laminations, I am not really sure what "water/vinegar soaked paper towels resting up against the glass" would achieve. Glass is nonporous and impermeable, so nothing sprayed or placed on the outside of it will reach the inside. 

To clean this mould, two things need to happen. You need to get a cleaning solution into the laminations, and you need agitation to scrub the mould out. If you remove the side trim, you might be able to access the side of the glass panel. If you can, there is a chance that you could pour cleaning fluid into the laminations. However, you're not going to be able to scrub out the mould.

I'd believe that these panels are a bit too far gone to consider trying to clean them, and you should consider a replacement. As an interim measure to make the area look a bit better, you could cover the lower portions of the glass with Boyle 1.5m x 45cm Self Adhesive Film - White Gloss. You'd need to clean them down and remove any soap scum before adhering the film.

Let me mention @TedBear and @tom_builds to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great to have you join us as well, @grahamk and many thanks for the helpful cleaning advice. It's always great when you come across a product that really works.

I'll be looking forward to seeing what else you contribute to the community and hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden. I'm sure you'll get plenty of inspiration from our members as they're all a clever and creative bunch. Let us know if you ever need assistance or have something to share.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @GlenH , having spent many hours trying unsuccessfully to restore shower glass, I have to agree with @MitchellMc ' s  suggestion of replacing it. However if you want to try cleaning, perhaps steam cleaning could shift the worst of it. Do you have,  or know someone who has a small steam cleaner?  I wouldn't waste time with vinegar in paper towel... why not just spray some vinegar straight on to it, whereby it can then run into the frames as well. But the product recommended by @grahamk  may be the better than vinegar.  It will be interesting to hear what you do and what result you get. Best of luck.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects