Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Shower tile painting using Rust-Oleum

Chris_T
Having an Impact

Shower tile painting using Rust-Oleum

Completed project.Completed project.

Hi 

So this lockdown I've decided to repaint the tiles in my shower. I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos and I know it can be tricky, so wanted to get some advice before I charge ahead. 

Firstly - I've read lots of stuff about using Rust-oleum Tub and Tile, but I can't figure out the difference between Tub and Tile and Tile Transformations? They seem to do the same thing...? 

Secondly, I'll be making sure those tiles are super clean before I begin (with a few passes of sugar soap), light sanding and final clean and dry. Is there anything else I need to do to prep the tiles/grout?

Just want to make sure I get this right the first time!

Thanks
Chris

Re: Preparations for shower tile painting

Hi @MitchellMc @EricL 

I am looking to do a very similar project to the above in my bathroom. Given that the entire Rust-Oleum range is out of stock online and across Bunning stores (it may have been discontinued?) are you able to please suggest an alternative that can achieve this result?

Thank you

Laura

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Laura7. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your enquiry about the Rust-Oleum tile coating system.

It appears that the Rust-Oleum Tile Transformations Tile Coating System is in stock at many locations. However, I apologise as it is not currently available for Click & Collect or delivery. I'll reach out via PM for details of your location to check on stock availability.

There are no other products suitable for use in a shower stall as our other tile paints are not suitable for this type of high humidity environment.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Chris_T
Having an Impact

A quick update on the shower painting, which I felt worth sharing as a caution for prepping this kind of project. 

I have discovered some of the paint has started to come off the soap tray area. It makes sense that I might have encountered issues in this area as it was the spot where a lot of soap debris gathered previously, and I clearly didn't clean it/sand it well enough for the paint to affix. So I guess the lesson is, really work on those spots that collect soap! I wonder if there was some other product I could have used to clean those surfaces better, or rougher sandpaper?

Anyway, now I'm considering how to address this problem. Can't really justify buying a full rustoleum kit for a touch up... Given it's a soap tray, I considered whether there is some kind of surface I could stick over the soap tray (like an anti slip material?) which would hide the defect and also be a practical addition?

Chris

IMG_7792 copy.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Chris_T

I'm sorry to hear that some paint has peeled off near the soap tray. I suggest trying Dulux 1L PRECISION Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer White to touch up the affected area and spray the top with White Knight Squirts 310g Clear Gloss Spray Paint to give it that shine. Unfortunately, this is not tile paint and will not last as long as the Rustoleum kit. When the repair finally peels off, you can then put on a new coating over the area.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Chris_T
Having an Impact

Hiya,

So after much procrastination, here's what I did... 

I cleaned back the soap tray and removed all the peeling paint. I then filled the soap tray with white silicone and levelled it off with a plastic trowel and some methylated spirits (so the silicone didn't get caught to the trowel and be as smooth as possible.)

Now the paint edges are sealed (so hopefully no more peeling paint!), the soap tray has a bit of grip (from the silicone), and it looks more neat and even (if not a slightly different colour to the paint). 

Chris

IMG_9373.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Chris_T

Thank you for posting an update on your soap tray. The silicone should provide an adequate seal and hopefully, there will be no more peeling paint.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects