Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Small laundry layout advice

bh357
Getting Established

Small laundry layout advice

Hi All. We’re about to renovate our laundry and are hoping for some help with the layout. 

We’re thinking a stacked washing machine/dryer, small sink with cupboards above and a toilet. 

Anyone got any ideas how we can lay it out in this space? (See photo for dimensions etc) 

EB71E7C4-451D-4554-BBDA-CA800F4820C8.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Small laundry layout advice

Hello @bh357

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about layout advice for a small laundry.

It's great to hear that you've started planning your laundry renovation. Thank you so much for posting the measurements of your laundry area. Would it be possible for you to tell me where do the existing doors go to and can either one of them be closed permanently? Design-wise it would be ideal to have the door on the short wall be removed to allow us to use the full length of that wall.

I suggest having a look at this excellent guide - How to plan a laundry renovation by @Adam_W. This will give you the basics of what you need to consider when renovating the area. I strongly recommend exploring the site and type in "laundry" on the search bar to see the projects that have been shared by our members. This sounds like an exciting project, we look forward to seeing your plan come together.

Here is a link to give you ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular laundry renovation projects

Let me tag our experienced members @prettyliving and @Gillgirl for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bh357
Getting Established

Thanks for replying Eric! Unfortunately the door on the short side is the internal one to our lounge room and the door on the long side is the external door to our backyard. 
The door on the short side is also framed by brick (previous extension) so moving it to the left doesn’t seem feasible either. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @bh357

Thank you for the quick reply. It looks like we will have to design the laundry with the doors staying where they are. I recommend having a look at the links I suggested to you earlier. As soon as I finish my sketch of a suggested layout, I will post it here for you to look at.

Eric

prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

Hi @bh357 

How exciting that you are about to begin the renovation! 😊

Ive been looking at the room & dimensions you attached, and have been trying to think of a practical layout, but a couple of questions: do you have a washer & dryer already that will be going in there, and what are their dimensions?

Also how much space do you have from the floor to the bottom of the window frame? 
Looking forward to hearing back from you and also seeing what ideas @EricL has for you. 😊

Thanks @prettyliving!

The washer and dryer are both roughly 600x600mm and the space between the floor and bottom of the window is 960mm. 

I've played around with it quite a bit and think I've found a layout that could work (using 600mm sink and cupboards) but interested to hear any other suggestions and see @EricL's layout: 

laundry.PNG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @bh357 

Here are my suggestions for your laundry renovation. 

• I suggest placing the toilet at the very end so that it is away from the line of sight. The stacked laundry machines easily hide the toilet when entering from the lounge.
  • The minimum size needed for your toilet is 800mm wide. This allows you to place a standard Kaboodle 800mm Wall Cabinet above the toilet. This will serve as your chemical cleaning storage area.
  • Since EasyVJ Panels are so popular, I've added this design feature to your laundry.
  • A feature I've included on the opposite wall of your laundry is an indoor hanging rail, this serves as an emergency drying rack in case you are not able to hang your laundry outside.
  • I've also included a fold-away table at the end of your laundry so that you have a spot for the laundry basket when you're getting the clothes out of the machine. 

My only other recommendation is to make sure to put in an inwall exhaust fan to push all the humidity outside when running your dryer. Please have a look at the sketches and tell me what you think. If you would like to see it in another configuration, please let me know.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing the start of your laundry project.

Eric

bh3571.jpgbh3572.jpgbh3573.jpgbh3574.jpgbh3575.jpgbh3576.jpg

bh357
Getting Established

Wow thanks @EricL, much appreciated! That looks amazing and it's great help to visualise it like that. 

Would you be able to provide the dimensions of the vanity you've put in? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @bh357

The vanity is custom-made for your laundry but is very easy to assemble. It's built to accommodate the Mondella Rococo Gloss White Rectangular Counter Top Basin. The timber top and waterfall are made of 2200 x 600 x 26mm Acacia Solid Oiled Hardwood Project Panel. This will let you make your rounded side shelves and the timber surround for the mirror. The cabinet mirror is actually the Mondella Cadenza 750mm White Mirrored 2 Door Shaving Cabinet. The body of the cabinet can be assembled using CustomPine 16 x 2400 x 1200mm Matt White Melamine.

You have the option of making a bigger cabinet if you wish to use the Mondella Resonance Single Bowl Round Stainless Steel Sink. Please keep in mind that the bigger the cabinet gets the less space there is to walk in. I've placed the dimensions of the cabinet below. Please keep us updated.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

bh357
Getting Established

Great thanks @EricL. We had a go at setting it all out and unfortunately think it's going to be too tight coming straight into the vanity and shelves. 

Think we're just going to have to stick with the other layout - the washer and sink on the short side wall with dryer and cabinets above and then the toilet on the RHS wall - definitely won't offer as much privacy for the toilet but think it's the only way to fit it in without it feeling too crammed. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects