Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tap Bonnet larger thread than spindle

PJW
Finding My Feet

Tap Bonnet larger thread than spindle

Hi, I am replacing a 1/4 turn ceramic disc wall spindle, but have found that the thread is too narrow to fit the bonnet/flange.  Is there an adapter or something else available to make up the difference?  Or do ceramic disc taps come in varying widths.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tap Bonnet larger thread than spindle

Hello @PJW

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about tap bonnets.

The replacement ceramic tap spindles that Bunnings carry are standard in size. If you are referring to the height of the threaded top of the spindle you can get extenders such as the Kinetic 15mm PVC Spindle Bonnet Extender - 2 Pack. This allows you to connect the flange back onto the spindle if it is too far in the wall. 

However, if you are using your original flange covers, it may be that they were custom-made in size for the original spindles. I suggest exploring the option of using a new basin flange for the set. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your new spindle and existing flange. It will allow our members to better diagnose the assembly and provide you with a more informed recommendation.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PJW
Finding My Feet

20210724_034148538_iOS.JPEG

Hi - i think they were custom made spindles for the set which is annoying. Have put a little tape over the replacement spindle thread and it now holds the old flange well enough to stay on.  Will leave it at that for the moment.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @PJW

It's great that you found a solution to holding the flange in place. Looking at the photo you posted, the cover flange does look very tall. I was going to suggest applying some silicone to the edge of the flange and let it set. However, using tape is a better idea as it is easier to remove the flange if you need to repair the spindle.

If we can assist you with any other project in the house, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects