Workshop
Ask a question

How to repair or replace damaged tile?

ggarylugmailcom
Finding My Feet

How to repair or replace damaged tile?

Hi there,

As you can see from the photo, there are cracks on the tile which is caused when I replace the tile next to it.

Is there any quick fix rather than replacing the tile?

If I have to replace the tile (which I'm happy with) what are the steps to take out the valve and cover plate, and what are the easiest way to cut tile so it can be placed properly?

Thanks in advance

IMG_20240425_100647528.jpg

Gary

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair or replace damaged tile?

Hello @ggarylugmailcom 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about replacing your tile. 

Due to the position of the tile, it is a bit tricky as you'll need to remove the inlet hose and the cistern tap. Since the damage to the tile is not so severe, I suggest filling the chip with grout and sealing it with Dunlop 250ml Grout Sealer. This will reduce the amount of dirt from sticking onto the surface of the grout.  

However, if you are really keen on replacing it, the tile must be isolated by removing all the grout surrounding it and the plumbing removed. The tile will then need to be broken and removed piece by piece. If you've not done any plumbing before, I suggest engaging the services of a registered plumber to remove and re-install the cistern tap.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to repair or replace damaged tile?

Hi Eric:

Thanks for the quick response, I never thought I could fill the chip with grout, sounds a good idea, let me try that first, come back to the detour (replace the whole tile) if I coundn't get a 100% satisfied result.

Cheers

Gary

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects