Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tile underlay adhesive onto plywood floor

BryceBrad
Growing in Experience

Tile underlay adhesive onto plywood floor

Hi Fellow DIYers
I will be attempting my first re-tile for the laundry room. I have done quite a bit of research however, one thing I am unsure is regarding the adhesive for the tile onto the plywood floor. 
I have watched the bunnings DIY video and it shows them fastening down the tile underlay straight onto the wood floor without any adhesive in between. 
The James Hardie as well as the Gyprock products call for a "stud adhesive" any have advice on what to use. Looking at the installation guide from James Hardie shows that the whole sheet is covered in adhesive before installation. Whereas Gyprock only place the adhesive at 150mm centres. To add to this, it seems like the americans use a modified "thinset" which we don't seem to have in Australia.

Appreciate any advice is appreciated. What are others using?

Thanks

Bryce

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tile underlay adhesive onto plywood floor

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Bryce (@BryceBrad) . It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I've spoken to both of the manufacturers CSR and James Hardie in regards to your question. Stud adhesive would be a suitable product to use for both companies underlay. James Hardie has no specific requirements apart from it being a stud adhesive. Both companies employ different methods of adhesive application as you have noted and they accomplish the same result.

If there were any specific questions you had on the process I would be more than happy to assist you with them.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BryceBrad
Growing in Experience

Thanks for your help, Appreciate it.

I have also done some reading on past questions here and it seems like the suggestion is to use fibre cement screws over fibre cement nails. Which nails do you recommend for the underlay?
Screws
https://www.bunnings.com.au/buildex-9-10-x-32mm-zinc-alloy-3-star-head-fibre-cement-screws-100-pack_...

Teks screw (purchased these but my carpenter mate mentioned the countersink on these will not work with underlay)

https://www.bunnings.com.au/buildex-m4-8-18-x-25mm-countersunk-ribbed-head-fibre-teks-screws-100-pac...

Nails with shank
https://www.bunnings.com.au/paslode-25-x-2-5mm-500g-underlay-cement-nails-410-pack_p2360403

@BryceBrad,

As per the James Hardie installation guide on their ceramic tile underlay, they recommend the use of nails. The Paslode 25 x 2.5mm 500g Underlay Cement Nails 410 Pack which you have mentioned would be a suitable nail to use with the underlay.

Please let me know if you have any other questions I can assist with.

Mitchell

Good evening 

following your advice, I purchased some stud adhesive from Bunnings for tile underlay and when I got it home and was reading the back , it said not to be used as glue for tile underlay. What should I get ? 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Fergus1972. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about tile underlay.

Under the walls section on that products instructions, it states, "This product cannot be used to fix boards used as a substrate for tiles". Stud adhesive isn't used on wall sheets that are having tiles fixed over them. However, it is suitable for tile underlay sheets on the floor, as they have different installation requirements.

If you've seen it mentioned that this product shouldn't be used for tile underlay sheets on the floor, I'd be happy to investigate further.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects