Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycling a sideboard to bathroom vanity

RachelD
Cultivating a Following

Upcycling a sideboard to bathroom vanity

The plan was to use something vintage for vanity and this one is happened to pop up on market place so we grabbed it The problem was we couldn't find any photos on Pinterest or Google that used top mirror part with the base.
I work with furniture everyday and one thing I only do if I have to is separate them so our goal was to use every piece.
My partner work really hard on this for me, he carefully pulled apart the mirror section as it was only just holding together. He numbered and sanded each piece and finally glued and clamped it all back together.
The legs had to be cut down as it was way to tall for the kids.
The top was split and twisted , we could have glued and clamped it but I really wanted a bit stone in this bathroom. We had the top cut to size and a small back splash also made, my partner is a stone mason but he was happy to let some else do this while he concentrated on the bathroom reno.
The front part of the top was used as the shelf under the mirror and we routered the last piece of the top and used it as a large shelf on another wall.
One drawer needed to be altered but we waited until the plumbing was done so we only cut out what was needed.
I love how turned out, it's exactly what we wanted.

20211130_114846.jpg

0_20211130_111526_1_watermark_Thu_13012022_121609.jpg

20200720_150113.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Upcycling a sideboard to bathroom vanity

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RachelD. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing this superb project.

You've done an excellent job transforming this furniture piece into a functional vanity. It looks sensational! I love the finish on the timber. Was it a matt coating you applied, or did you leave it bare? The marble top and splashback really tie everything together and are a very nice touch. 

Congrats on a fantastic effort which I trust you're chuffed about. You've done a splendid job, and I can't wait to see your next project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

@RachelD 

Oh my goodness I love this reno.

I've mentioned in another post how much I love using something old.

What a stroke of genious to separate the two pieces. I have never seen this done before and love how it finished up.

Also love the stone top as I have seen such units with a marble top so it doesn't look out of place, in fact my daughter has one with a marble top but not sure if it's original, I think it is anyway, well done, it looks fabulous.

Cheers,

Barbara

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @RachelD

I totally agree with @Baretta11, it is a beautifully restored upcycle piece. Can you please tell us what kind of paint did you apply to the timber as it has produced such an amazing finish? It looks like a heavily influenced piece from the 30s like a futuristic art deco style. I suspect that age is the reason for the split top. It looks wonderful with the new stone top and split mirror frame.  

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful upcycled bathroom vanity.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RachelD
Cultivating a Following

Hi

I used a mix of Lime and Stucco Wax from Porters Paints, its worked really well for repelling water on other projects that I've done in the past.

RachelD
Cultivating a Following

Thank you Barbara, it sounds like your daughter has a old wash stand, my grandmother had one of those with the marble on the top, I dont come across many of those these days.

RachelD
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric

I used a mix of Lime and Stucco Wax from Porters Paints, its worked really for repelling water on other projects that I've done in the past.

dorabulldog
Having an Impact

This is truly gorgeous and creative Rachel!!! Well done to you!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects