Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Used primer instead of paint

JustG
Finding My Feet

Used primer instead of paint

Hi all, currently renovating bathroom and toilet. Am painting the skirting, door frames and window trims white. Have sanded them down and then used Taubmans 3 in 1 Prep.  It is a dark coloured wood. I am painting the wood work in Dulux Lexicon Half in semi gloss. Have put 2 coats of paint and was supposed to do a 3rd coat. Instead I’ve accidentally used the Taubmans prep instead of a 3rd coat of paint. Can I just paint over the primer with the paint? I’m hoping I don’t need to sand it back down again. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Used primer instead of paint

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JustG. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting timber.

That doesn't sound like the end of the world. I'd paint the final coat over the top if it were me. It's likely going to be just fine, and you'll never know the difference. However, suppose the Taubmans primer did happen to delaminate from the semi-gloss paint underneath; you're only going to waste the additional coat of paint you need to apply to finish. Whether you remove it all now or at a later date if it fails, you're no worse off.

It comes down to risk versus reward. I believe there is a very low risk of the coatings failing as you've applied them, and there is a whole heap of work involved to remove them all and start again. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your reply Mitchell. 

I think I’ll just paint another coat, possibly two if it needs more shine. I really cannot be bothered re-sanding at this stage. Once I make my way through the rest of the house, if it appears noticeably different from the other trims and door frames, then I’ll reconsider re-sanding and painting then. 

Note to self, don’t paint when you’re tired so you don’t confuse the paint tins. LOL. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

If you paint another two coats, you won't be able to notice any difference @JustG. Keep us updated, and never hesitate to reach out if you need a hand with a project or have something to share. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects