Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Very small laundry ideas

Diane-L
Finding My Feet

Very small laundry ideas

Hi all! We just moved into a 2 bedroom apartment with a very small laundry area (1650x975mm) which has absolutely no storage. We are looking for ways to maximise the small space and it would be ideal for additional storage but understand our options are limited.

We are hoping to keep the existing sink/laundry tub for now and just add a benchtop over the washing machine and if possible, some very narrow storage (anything that may fit) under the benchtop in between the washing machine and laundry tub. Open to any design ideas.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions given :smile:

Laundry1.jpegLaundry3.jpeg

Diane

Ari
Having an Impact

Re: Very small Laundry ideas

Hi Diane

If your budget can stretch to a plumber, removing the old tub and changing to a 450mm sink will be a game changer for storage.  Couple of ideas below - the choice depends on what you want to store and whether you value bench space or cupboard space.

If you don't use the sink much, you could also get an over sink chopping board for extra bench space.

Install the Dyson wall bracket on the left wall, and add a hanging rail for broom and mop on the right wall.  Or you could put in a tall cupboard for Dyson, ironing board and brooms.

(And apologies I use the Kaboodle planner and it doesn't have a separate dryer :smile: )

HTH - Ari

Small laundry 1.PNG

laundry 2.PNG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Diane-L. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

It's fantastic to see @Ari has already supplied a couple of options for your laundry. You seem to have plenty of space above the sink for additional storage in a wall mount cupboard.

You might like to check out our Top 10 most popular laundry renovation projects and also read through these discussions:

I'd also like to recommend the 2200 x 600 x 26mm Beech Laminated Panel which can be used to make a quick and simple yet great looking benchtop. I installed one yesterday and it's amazing the difference it has already made to the functionality of the laundry.

We look forward to hearing more about your laundry project and would encourage you to let us know if you need assistance or had other questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Diane-L
Finding My Feet

Thanks @Ari and @MitchellMc for the suggestions!

As this is my first time at diy, I just have a few more (silly) questions:

1) if I use the 2200 x 600 x 26mm Beech Laminated Panel suggested, what do I need to do to make it waterproof since water will get onto it?

2) For wall mount cupboards, do I need to check for plumbing/pipes behind the wall and what should I use for that?

3) Do the wall mount cupboards need wall studs to be attached onto? What if it is a drywall?

Thanks so much for your help!

Diane

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Diane-L,

There are no "silly" questions when it comes to D.I.Y., only silly mistakes because those questions weren't asked.

To make the beech panel water-resistant you can either apply a hard coating or a soft coating. Hard coatings like Cabot's Cabothane protect the timber from water and damage. Soft coatings like Feast Watson Scandinavian oil protect the timber from water. They both have their own benefits and downsides.  Hard coatings can chip and scratch and can need sanding before re-coating. Soft coatings allow the timber to be dented or scratched but generally don't need sanding before re-coating unless the timber is damaged.

On the bench I've just installed, I used beeswax polish as I like the smell and finish. To be honest though, after going to Bunnings 7 times in two days I used what I had on hand. It would have been my preference to use Scandinavian oil.

You should be checking for plumbing, pipes and electrical cabling. A stud finder is the appropriate tools for that job. It is preferred to mount the cupboards into studs. If you put a 600mm or 900mm wall cabinet in there you'll likely have two studs to mount on. The studs should be between 450-600mm apart and there might be noggins (horizontal timber) you can also fix into. There are plaster fixing solutions but I would try to avoid using those if possible.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects