Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the hardest thing to clean in your house?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

What is the hardest thing to clean in your house?

Sponge1.jpg

The Easter break is an opportunity for many of us to get stuck into jobs around the house that we've been putting off for a while. 

I suspect a tough cleaning job will be on many to-do lists, whether its diving head-first into the oven, tackling some stubborn bathroom mould, getting underneath the beds and couches, or carefully climbing a ladder to get those hard-to-reach crevices.  

What's the hardest thing to clean in your house?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: What is the hardest thing to clean in your house?

Given how tedious it is to wash the sheets (and apparently how filthy the average pillow is) this is genius.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@kaylah_rose

Totally agree about spray on oil, & your tip to spray it outside is what we'll do from now on. : )

I'm the one that does all of the elbow grease, & fiddly clean ups in our home, so a huge thank you from me.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@MartyH

That is brilliant, I use a stiff bristled brush for a lot of cleaning jobs, but that drill hack will cut down on scrubbing effort immensely.

Thanks for sharing. : )

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Kellie

Yep, those sticky suckers are a pain. You probably do what I do, I put them in the laundry trough, soak them in hot wter & dish washing detergent, then scrub away with either a stiffish nail brush, or a denture brush.

Maybe a dishwasher on an intense cycle could do the trick. I'd give it a shot & let you know how it goes, but we gave our dishwasher to a good neighbour. ; )

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Kermit

Yep, I bought a lime green pair for a stir, but my high instep means that only one of them fit.

Perhaps I can cut the smaller one up, & rubber band them onto our Shelties' paws. : )

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Kermit

I generally vacuum them, using either the crevice nozzle, or brush attachment.

Now that you've inspired me to think about it, I reckon I'll have a crack at it with our garden blower. We could be onto something. I'll get back to you on it. : )

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Jason

Good news on the oven cleaning, I put a bowl of boiling water in & close the door to soften the baked on grime. 

Better than that, in a previous discussion on oven cleaning, a couple of our fabulous Workshop ladies suggested adding the juice of half a lemon to the hot water, & also its rind.

Once the baked on grime has softened, scrub with a non-scratch (if the oven internals are stainless) scouring pad, or a squirly stainless steel pad (sorry, I can't remember what they're called, but they look like the coily swarf from a lathe), with the warm detergent left in the bowl. Then mop up with a micro-fibre cloth.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

For anyone still persisting with 70s louvre doors, I clean them with a damp (no detergent) micro-fibre cloth, wrapped around a dinner/butter/blunt knife. Do an up & down motion of the cloth at one end, glide the cloth to the other side, an up & down motion at that end, then glide back to the starting side. Repeat until all are clean.

SoMuch2Do
Cultivating a Following

Ha Ha, I remember when I was so much younger, tying dusters on my feet and going skating to polish the floor.

SoMuch2Do
Cultivating a Following

Bathroom showers and tiles. That grout gets so 'mouldy'. Have to spray with a mild bleach cleaner and scrub with a thin brush that gets into the grout. I would love to find a brush that would get into the corners though.

Oates brush

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects