Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the most flexible grout option?

katemc
Just Starting Out

What is the most flexible grout option?

My bath/shower has a lot of movement. Is there a grout that is very flexible to withstand this? I took out the mouldy silicone and regrouted with Dunlop flexible grout but it has cracked and is breaking out after a few months. Is Dunlop Flexible Grout an epoxy grout or is that something different (and better?) Do I have to go back to silicone?

Would greatly appreciate some advice!

Thanks,

Kate

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the most flexible grout option?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @katemc. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about flexible grout.

Grouts are cement-based products that are prone to cracking with movement. It's quite typical to grout the tiles between them and then use silicone at the wall and floor junctions due to the heightened movement. If the Dunlop Flexible Grout has cracked, it's a good indication that you should return to using silicone. It is not an epoxy grout. Epoxy grouts are no more flexible, but do set very hard and have a tenacious bonding strength. The grip they provide on the tiles might prevent them from separating with the movement. Be advised they require a more involved application technique than standard grout, and it's imperative that you clean as you go.

It would be my recommendation that you return to using a wet-area silicone in the joints.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects