Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What paint to use for painting shower floor tiles?

Kazziendave123
Just Starting Out

What paint to use for painting shower floor tiles?

Hi i would like to paint my  ceramic shower floor tiles. Can u recommend a paint that can be used? Tks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: painting shower floor tiles

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kazziendave123. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about shower floor tile coatings.

The Rust-Oleum Tile Transformations Tile Coating System is suitable for wall tiles in a shower recess and general floor tiles. I'm currently waiting to hear back from the Rust-Oleum technical team about its suitability for floor tiles within the shower recess. It appears from the instructions that it will be suitable, but I'd like to double-check this to be 100% sure.

Many thanks for your patience. I'll let you know the answer as soon as possible.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Kazziendave123,

It is very difficult for coatings to adhere to tiles in a high humidity environment such as the shower. Due to the build-up of soap scum on the base of a shower, this inhibits their ability to bind further. Given this, Rust-oleum advises against using their product on the floor tiles within the shower. 

I'm not aware of any other products that would be suitable, but let me mention @redracer01 to see if he had come across any.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for enquiring. Was worth a try.

Hello @Kazziendave123 

Welcome to Bunnings community workshop. I must concur with @MitchellMc on this particular situation. I've yet to run in to a paint product that can withstand total water immersion and be  indestructible when bleached and extreme cleaning is applied to it. I know it is an effort to water proof and re-tile a shower area but perhaps if you look at it as an opportunity to remake your shower area it will become more of a vision of what it could be. Time, money and effort are the factors in this possible make over. There may be ways to disguise the shower area by putting frost film on the outside thereby hiding it from direct view. You could fish around for quotes and compare the going rate for just a shower area waterproof and re-tile. Please keep us informed, we would love to know how you've decided to proceed with your project. If there is anything else we can assist with please post it here on workshop.

Cheers,

Red 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects