Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

attaching a bathroom sink - what adhesive / paste?

willb
Finding My Feet

attaching a bathroom sink - what adhesive / paste?

Hi, new poster here:

I am mounting a sink on a small pedestal, apart from bolting the sink to the wall with 14mm plugs, the sink instructions specify to use ‘INDUSTRIAL PASTE’ between the wall and the rear of the sink (not sealant - Its for the entire Backplate. 
I need to know the following, thanks very much in advance! 
Q:

WHAT INDUSTRIAL PASTE SHOULD I GET?   
WHAT SIZE MASONARY BIT FOR A 14mm WALL PLUG 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: attaching a bathroom sink - what adhesive / paste?

Welcome to the Workshop community @willb. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to answer it.

If it is one of our sinks and you can provide me with a manufacturer and model number, then I'd be happy to contact them for specific information about the product. However, the "industrial paste" they are referencing is most likely silicone. Silicones are used by trades in a variety of applications and not just sealing water ingress points. I would, in this situation, use Sikaflex 11fc which is a polyurethane adhesive sealant and far superior to silicone.

Will you be drilling through tiles? If so, there is a Sutton Tools 14mm M14 Diamond Core Drill Bit which attaches to an angle grinder. There is no 14mm drillbit which I can locate, there is a PN 15mm Diamond Core Masonry Drill Bit, but by the time you drill the hole it will be closer to 15.5mm and the wall plug might not hold.

If by chance the wall is masonry then a Sutton tools 14 x 150mm SB TCT Masonry Drill Bit would be sufficient and used in a hammer drill. However, this drill bit is not suited for drilling through tiles specifically.

If you would like further information or had questions, please, let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Fantastic Mitchell - I notice there is a KANGOL 14mm MULTI material masonary bit that mentions tiles and brick 

which is what The substrate is

kango-14-x-250mm-multi-purpose-drill-bit_p6350300 

would this work. As I said - tile then brick or concrete. 
thanks  - Will B

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @willb,

That drill bit has a carbide tip similar to the percussion masonry drill bit I mentioned earlier. They will drill through masonry tiles but are not designed for drilling glazed tiles specifically. Please, allow me to speak with the manufacturer as I would like to clarify whether the Kango 14 x 250mm Multi-Purpose Drill Bit is suitable for glazed tiles.

I'll let you know shortly when I hear back from them.

Mitchell

Thanks mate please let me know!!!
Can I not get a tile bit then use a standard masonry after the hole is made in the tile? 

I would rather not due to double the cost for a one off bit though. Its too big to be useful. 
wb

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @willb,

I have spoken with Kango and they have advised the drill bit is suitable for drilling into glazed tiles. They suggested placing a few layers of masking tape over the area to stop the drill bit slipping, running the drill in non-hammer mode and drilling at a slow speed. They also recommended that adequate safety measures should be used including safety glasses.

If you need further advice or have questions, please, let me know.

Mitchell

Sorry, mate for leaving this so long - that is great news - I am off today to buy the parts and tools I need to change the bathroom- And mount the sink. 
thanks 

will. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects