I've been wanting a grid mirror for some time, but they are expensive and start at anything from $500. So, I decided to make one.
Firstly I took the measurements (wrong!) and got my board cut by Bunnings. Lucky for me, my measurements were too big. I thought I had 30cm mirrors and they were 28cm instead.
I started with the outer frame using 9mm square trim. I dry fitted the mirrors and used a drop saw to cut each of the 6mm inner frame trims to create the grid. Because the 6mm MDF backing board was cut too big, I used a handsaw to cut it down.
I then used Gorilla glue to fix the trim and taped it down over night.
I sprayed all the trim with flat black Rust-Oleum and then fixed the acrylic mirrors down with more Gorilla glue.
The whole process took 1.5 days. It was fiddly getting the grid perfect and the glue needed to settle overnight. There is pretty much no give with the measurements, so next time I’d give myself an extra 1m in each grid.