Workshop
Ask a question

Front yard makeover

Apoorv_S
Having an Impact
Apoorv_S
Apoorv_S
Having an Impact

Pavers, turf and decking used to give a front yard a complete overhaul.

IMG_6195.jpeg

The project

We have achieved what we set out for - a front yard makeover. It has the imperfections of beginner D.I.Y. but there is a charm to it, as well as bragging rights. I think the total cost for raw materials was around $3000. 

The ground was clay with mulch on top, variable height and sloping to the front a bit. Our plan was:

1.  Lay pavers on the left-hand side where the bins were kept to cover the rectangle space to the front edge of the building

2. Lay the modular Good Times deck where the front flower bed was in front of the windows 

3. Lay turf to the space in the front. 

I have done a bit of reading and searched the forum for hows tos. We are complete newbies D.I.Y.ing but loved the idea of doing it ourselves.

The low-lying deck used Modular frames for Good TimesThe entire deck is made up of two rectangular sections, measuring 5.6 x 1.1m and 3.3 x 1.1m.

I_MG_7639 (1).jpg

IMG_7636 (1).jpg

I did some reading about the drainage. I tried finding the stormwater drain but felt it was too deep for me to dig. We have put some formwork in and then planned to fill with road base and sand and compact it. We would then lay pavers 400 x 400mm on top. 

IMG_7684.jpg

We then moved to adding a screen to hide the bins, making a wooden ramp for the elevated paver area and decking to the side. 

IMG_8005.jpg

IMG_7994.jpg

IMG_8031 Large.jpeg

IMG_8060.jpg

I__MG_8032 Large.jpeg

I_MG_8533 Large.jpeg

It's been a learning journey. We got there in the end with best of our limited labour and budget. It's not the most perfect job and levelling the ground was the most key part that we didn't get fully right. But we are happy with the outcome for the limited resources.

I_MG_2735 Large 2.jpeg

IMG_6196.jpeg

Before and after

I__MG_8006 Large.jpeg

IMG_6193.jpeg

Comments
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good afternoon @Apoorv_S 

:smile: Much nicer! And so much more appealing to come home to at the end of the day. 

How long did the three stages take to do? We all start somewhere, and we are all hard on our own work :smile: It looks good, its functional and its what you did then its a winner! 

It looks like a nice polace to hang out on as the sun goes down.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects