Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Epoxy garage floor project

maknilsin
Making a Splash

Epoxy garage floor project

Epoxy.jpg

So after what has been close to a year of planning I have finally completed my garage floor. 

It took a lot longer to get this project off the ground - as my brand new garage floor was not as pristine as one would expect from a new house. But after a couple of months of badgering my builder and a garage scrape later - we were finally ready to go.

I purchased a Dy-Mark Epoxy Kit from Bunnings for this project as my research into their product showed that their product had everything I needed in one simple kit to get the job done: https://www.bunnings.com.au/dy-mark-8l-epoxy-clear-garage-floor-coating-kit_p1580413

I also spent quite a bit of time caulking my garage. A slight gap between the garage floor and the skirting meant that there was possible risk of seepage of the epoxy when laying it down. So some quick caulking and taping of skirts was completed just to ensure there was no epoxy going under my walls or onto the walls 

epoxy-1.jpg

As my garage floor was brand new - there was no need to complete any deep cleaning or etching of the garage floor. This easily saved me a couple of days of work.

Once the floor was all prepped I began the process of the mixing the contents of the epoxy kit. Due to the temperature on Good Friday (below 15 degrees) I had to mix the activator and the base for slightly longer than the recommended 8 minutes and the resting time was recommended at 25 minutes so I left it for 30 minutes just to stay on the safe side. 

epoxy-2.jpgepoxy-3.jpg

Word to the wise - when the instructions say wear gloves and avoid contact with your skin, listen to it. Although not harmful to your skin - the adhesive nature of the epoxy meant I added close to an extra hour to the project trying to scrub off all of the epoxy that was covering my hands.

Once the epoxy has had time to rest after mixing it's time to start rolling out the epoxy with a simple paint roller. The instruction suggested painting in square metre sections so as to give ample time to apply the coloured flakes. I stuck to this instruction as it made the process of cutting in and rolling out the epoxy pretty simple - and meant I didn't get too boxed in during the application. 

After each square metre was rolled out I applied my flakes pretty liberally across each section - I defintely went overboard in the first few sections which meant I was running pretty low by the end of the garage so I suggest going easy on the flakes.

epoxy.gif

The difference between the old garage floor and the epoxy is night and day as you can see below - seeing some instant results as I worked definetely made the rest of the work a lot easier.

epoxy-5.jpg

After close to 2 hours of rolling out epoxy and liberally throwing around coloured flakes my new garage floor was complete. The drying time due to the temperature was 72 hours - so I tried to keep the garage open for at least 6 hours a day as the smell of the epoxy was incredibly strong. 

Now I wait another 10 days before the floor is ready for vehicle use and I can adding in some garage storage products to really flesh out my garage.

epoxy-6.jpg

Re: Easter Project - Epoxy Garage Floor

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Specter003

Let me mention @maknilsin to see if they can give us an update on the longevity of the coating. They do mention that they used a Dy-mark epoxy kit which might no longer be available in stores. Here are some equivalent Dy-mark garage floor products that are available.

We look forward to hearing about the projects around your house and garden and would encourage you to let us know any time you need assistance or have something to share. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration within the community as our members are sharing their amazing projects here every day.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Easter Project - Epoxy Garage Floor

Hi @Specter003 - we moved out of that house only last week, so finally cleared out the garage and I have to say, the floor kept up incredibly well! 

Now I’m starting to plan out how I can do it again at the new place! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects