Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I best paint our garage roller door?

Stephen5366
Just Starting Out

How do I best paint our garage roller door?

We are looking to change the colour of our garage door? 

What is the best method to apply a new colour? Spray gun vs spray cans vs roller? We will also be resurfacing the driveway with a new colour

IMG_8116.jpeg

ThanksIMG_8152.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I best paint our garage roller door?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Stephen5366. It's sensational to have you join us and many thanks for your question about re-painting your garage door and driveway.

Let's break this down into a couple of different topics, starting with the roller door.

What's the condition of the current paint? Is it powdery? if you run your fingers across it, does it leave powder on your fingers?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Mitchell

Thanks for the reply. The condition of the existing paint is good. No dust or colour comes off the running my finger across it. 

@Stephen5366,

I'd suggest you give the door a good scrub down with sugar soap and then flush the residue off with clean water and wait for it to dry. You'll then be able to use the White Knight Rust Guard Grey Quick Dry True Bite Primer Paint and then your topcoat.

The best results will be seen using a spray gun, but that also comes down to your own proficiency in using them. If you haven't used a spray gun before, you might like to use a brush and roller instead. Or, perhaps practise on some other areas first. Here are a couple of helpful guides: How to choose a paint sprayer and How to paint a fence with a spray gun.

For the driveway, you can paint over the existing concrete. Since there's a significant slope, I'd highly suggest you don't go for the gloss option, and you'll need to add Berger Jet Dry 300g Clear True Grip. I'm a little concerned that even with the added True grip, you might experience issues in the wet. If you could work out the slope of the driveway, I could then call Berger to find out if their products would be suitable.

Here's a guide from Berger on preparing your driveway for coating: How to prepare your surface for painting.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects