Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I stop damp in my summer house?

thefamousdevlin
Just Starting Out

How do I stop damp in my summer house?

1000007536.jpg

1000007534.jpg

1000007531.jpg

1000007532.jpg

We have a summer house that was installed by the previous owners. Can't afford to replace it for a few years so would appreciate some ideas of how to stop it from getting so damp over the winter. 

What is the best way to treat the walls?

Can we do anything at ground level to keep the damp away? The garden gets very wet.

I'm thinking about installing a glamping wood burning stove in there, which might help.

Thank you

Devlin

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I stop damp in my summer house?

Hello @thefamousdevlin 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about stopping condensation in your summer house.

Cold air trapped in an airtight room with no wind movement will promote condensation. A quick way to reduce condensation inside the room is to have air movement. I suggest installing an exhaust fan to get rid of the stale air inside the summer house.

You can also use an Ausclimate 20L Medium Dehumidifier to absorb all the moisture inside the summer house. This will again reduce the condensation inside the house. 

The impact of heaters on humidity might not seem straightforward, but it's significant. Heaters don't directly remove moisture from the air. Instead, when they warm the air beyond a certain temperature, it becomes capable of holding more moisture. As a result, the air pulls moisture away from your skin, leaving it feeling noticeably drier.

Between the two it is better to remove the moisture rather than heating the air.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects