Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean mould spores growing on carpet in unused car?

Biggerblue
Just Starting Out

How to clean mould spores growing on carpet in unused car?

Best way to clean and prevent again?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: mold spores growing on carpet in unused car

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Biggerblue. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing mould in carpet.

What sort of outbreak are you looking at? Is it possible to supply some images so our members can better understand what you're trying to tackle? That way, they'll be much better placed to determine the best approach.

How I'd address the issue comes down to the extent of the outbreak. Remember to wear a facemask whilst cleaning in case the spores become airborne. If there are just a few spots here and there, then you can spot clean them with warm soapy water and then spritz the areas with a vinegar solution to kill any remaining spores. Typically, one part vinegar to ten parts water works well. You'll need to leave the car open to ensure the carpet is fully dry before closing it up again.

If the mould infestation is over the entire floor carpet and is well established, it would be worth considering removing the carpet to clean it thoroughly. Or, at a minimum, remove the two front seats so you can get under them. You'll also need to wipe the entire interior to remove any mould on other surfaces. After you've scrubbed the mould off, you should treat any remaining spores with the vinegar solution. Once again, it's important to air out the vehicle before closing it up.

I'm keen to hear more details and provide further assistance. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects