Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a damaged wall?

Bhope
Finding My Feet

How to fix a damaged wall?

Hi,

My partner was driving her car out the garage and she accidentally damaged the wall. 

Please advice me how to fix a damaged wall or should I get a professional to do it. 
Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks.

IMG_20210821_204344.jpgIMG_20210821_204359.jpgIMG_20210821_204350.jpgIMG_20210821_204414.jpgIMG_20210821_204427.jpgIMG_20210821_204421.jpg

IMG_20210821_195725.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a damaged wall

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Bhope. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for the question about repairing your wall.

This certainly looks like a repair that you could attempt to do yourself. Obviously, engaging the services of a tradesperson is always an option.

I'd advise using a pre-mixed product similar to Poly 500g Exterior Masonry Poly. You'll need a scraper or Craftright 100mm Joint Knife to apply the filler. The 100mm width will help you establish the corner's square edges again, which will be the key to an unnoticeable repair.

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to render corners. It shows a similar process to what you'll be doing, except theirs is a new wall using a corner beading. Once dry, you can sand your filler to the exact shape of the corner, but try only to use just enough filler to form the corner. Too much, and it will be a pain to sand back off. Once the areas are filled, apply your exterior paint. Whilst the paint is still wet, take the end of the bristles of your brush and stipple the surface to texture it. This will blend the repair in with the surrounding area.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you for your reply. It is very helpful, and it certainty gives me a direction. I have a few questions: 
1. Poly 500g Exterior Masonry Poly - One person reviewed that it takes up to 3 days if the wall is more than 5mm thick, and recommended using "Dunlop Ardit Rapidset" instead as it dry quicker. 
2. Do I need corner beading? I believed the answer is no, but I just want to make sure. 
3. "Sand your filler" - How to sand the filler? What tool would you recommend? Any tips and advice? I have only sand wooden block using sand paper in the past.
4. Can I use shoe brush to stipple the surface to texture it?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Bhope

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Bhope,

The information I have suggests that it should dry quicker in thin coats. However, if it is thicker than 3mm, you'll need multiple coats allowing 24hours between coats. This is where you could take three days to complete the job. Any filler thicker than 5mm will take multiple days to fully dry. I haven't personally used the Dunlop Ardit Rapidset, but it is a quality product and should also work for you. The faster drying times would be convenient.

Allow to dry (2–3 hours in thin 2–3mm applications, depending on temperature and humidity) before sanding and painting. Allow longer drying times (24 hours minimum) if painting with oil based  paints, for deeper applications or in colder weather. For deeper jobs apply in 10mm layers, allowing each layer to dry before applying the rest.

You don't need corner beading for small repairs like this. It's more used to stop cracks forming down a corner due to the flexing of a building and to create a straight edge over a large distance. There's really no way to apply it here unless you were to recreate the entire corner from top to bottom. A lot of work would also be involved in that.

You'll find the filler will be relatively soft at the 2-3 hours mark and you'll be able to use sandpaper, though it will fill up with filler quite quickly. After that time, you'll likely need to use a Trojan Concrete Rubbing Sharpening Stone.

An old shoe brush would be perfect to use as a stippling tool.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc,

I will go with the Poly 500g Exterior Masonry Poly as I probably only need 2-3mm application. Thanks for your advice.  
Is sanding the filler necessary for this job? Are there any alternative sandpaper that you would recommend? Trojan Concrete Rubbing Sharpening Stone. seem like a a bit of waste if I only use it once. Of course, I am happy to go ahead if that's what you recommend!

Bhope

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Bhope,

Sanding the filler isn't necessary if you are particularly talented at filling and smoothing it. Ever iced a cake before? It's a similar process. As I mentioned, standard sandpaper is fine to use at the 2-3 hour drying period mark. Do you have any? Something relatively coarse, like 80-grit would do.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc 

Thank you for your recommendation. I picked up most of the tools and paints from Bunning today. I am going to try to repair it tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Bhope

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Good luck, @Bhope!

We're here every day to provide assistance. Give us a shout if you get stuck.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects