Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove scratch on car?

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

How to remove scratch on car?

Hello All,

Can anyone recommend scratch removal from the body of the car. It is deep and any relevant threads that provides a smooth finish for the paint is welcome. Not sure, whether it can be handled myself or to hire a mobile detailer. Any recommendation is appreciated.

Please refer to attached image.

IMG_0647.JPEG

Best Wishes

MM

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to remove scratch on car?

Hey @nagumuthu that looks pretty deep, if it has cut through the original paint and is down to primer or metal no amount of buffing or detailing will get that out as you can buff in new paint.

But there are some polish products that are colour tinted for hiding minor blemishes but in my experience the colour is never a good match.

Is that is paint from the object or another car then you are in luck a cutting compound car product will get it off quick smart then follow it up with a polish and a wax. Make sure you follow the instructions of each product.

If it is first scenario then it's a respray of the panel.

Carl

Hello @CSParnell 

The scratch appeared from one of the metal fixed on the trailer scratchd the car door.  If I understood your message correctly, buffing does not help and only repaining the whole door brings back the door to its original state. Is that correct.

Thanks

MM

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@nagumuthu 

It depends if that scratch is your paint that has been removed or its paint from the trailer.

It's its paint from the trailer that has transferred onto your car then it will buff out, but if it's scratches that have cut into your paint buffing won't fix it as you can't fill in sections of no paint with just rubbing over it.

Hope that makes sense.

Hello @CSParnell 

Thanks for the clarrification. Your reply makes sense absolutely.

Thanks

MM

It's great to see that @CSParnell has already been assisting @nagumuthu.

I agree with the information provided; unfortunately, they look like deep scratches through your clear coat and at least into the paint. If the scratch has reached the paint or gone through it, that's a job for the professionals and likely will need filling and a re-spray of the door. Paints these days are very thin, which doesn't leave much room for cutting back and polishing.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@nagumuthu best thing u can do is get some quotes from so.e reputable panel and paint places see what the cost is, if it more than excess of your insurance if you have full comprehensive then run it through insurance, if it's less then don't run it through insurance.

Make sure the repairer has been in business for a fair number of years so that any warranty of work is likely to be there for that period.

Thanks @MitchellMc @for seconding @CSParnell opinion.

Hello @CSParnell 

@The quote I received is $440 to cover the scratch area. Waiting for few more quotes. Proceeding through Insurance does not sound good for the quote. 

An expensive lesson learned.

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@nagumuthu good to hear, glad u are getting a few quotes.

You would have spent up to $100 on detailing products and not been able to remove the scratches so glad you asked here first.

Carl

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects