Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop rats??

MonkeyLearn
Cultivating a Following

How to stop rats??

Hi Everyone,

I've had problems with rats for quite a long time but now that I've started expanding my power tool collection I would like to protect them. Over the years I've tried a lot of thing with some things staying while others didn't work at all. I'll start with the ones that worked, obviously we started with basic rat traps, putting them almost everywhere (Including the house roof as they had started to migrate), I also removed all sources of food by putting the chicken, duck and dog food in metal barrels instead of plastic. This did slow them done but then they started going after our outdoor plants, I then did a bombing round of poison in the roof of the house as the dogs tend to wander the shed and didn't want them eating the pellets. That worked really well as we haven't had any in the roof since (Also for those who might be worried I know that my two dogs don't eat rats if they find or kill them{as they are sight hounds} so they wouldn't get poisoned).

Our issue then lied with the insulation in our shed, by this time they had tunnelled in it so the only reason they were staying was for the nice home. At the moment we are getting rid of the insulation and we are planning to replace it. My issue now is how stop them, from getting back in. The gaps they can squeeze are between the tops of the wall and the roof. I've done a lot of research and some people swear by steel wool, while others swear by different caulking. I just wanted to get some some opinions on these and maybe some new ideas.

Thank You in Advance,

MonkeyLearn MonkeyDo

Re: How to stop Rats??

@Prawns, that's a very good point.

I have no idea as to how a chicken would go if eating a poisoned mouse.

I do have a bait station in a small cage now, so the chooks can't get to it.

I think I'll put a couple of traps in there with peanut butter on them instead and see how that goes.

Wy
Growing in Experience

The Yates website has this humane solution:

The Ratsak Electronic Mouse Trap is a highly effective way to control mice, using advanced smart circuit technology that senses when a mouse has entered the trap, while a uniquely designed tunnel prevents escape. Once inside, the circuit triggers a high-voltage shock, killing the mouse quickly and effectively. The electronic trap kills up to 100 mice (per set of AA batteries) and can be baited with peanut butter or Ratsak Attractant Paste.

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Morning @MonkeyLearn I know I am late to this discussion but I would like to reinforce what @Prawns says. Baits are great but if you do have any animals that are likely to eat the dead mice then this is not desirable. One or two won't hurt them but if there is large numbers regularly - then I think a trap is better. YOu can get humane ones now. You should also seal the gaps in the shed where you can but you will struggle to seal them all and they will only go elsewhere looking for food. 

Oh my stars RATS I don’t think so anyone want to borrow my Jack Russell. She worries me sometimes would starve rather than give up .

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects