Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to upcycle pool sand filter?

jennih
Cultivating a Following

How to upcycle pool sand filter?

The house I bought used to have a pool and there is a big sand filter in my shed.

Any ideas what I could do in my garden to use this - pond, water feature, garden bed, ?and how.

Thank you for any ideas

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to upcycle pool sand filter?

Hi @jennih 

Thanks for sharing your question about upcycling your pool sand filter. Would it be possible for you to post a few pictures of the sand filter? Can you also please tell us the size of the filter. 

Your suggestion of using it as a water feature is an excellent idea as you don't need to do any prep work for the filter other than plugging up the outlet of the container.

I suggest having a look at these discussions:

Let me call on our experienced members @homeinmelbourne @mich1972, @redbournreno and @Dave-1 for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good evening @jennih 

Upcyling a sand filter :smile: I like the idea.

I have replaced a sand filter before, I was going to reuse the sand for walking on but found it had sliced/scratched my hands with lots of fine scratches when I was scooping out the sand. So I would suggest to use the sand as a base layer under some pavers type deal as my first choice.

The ball of a sand filter sounds a little harder to reuse. I am not sure how well it would go being cut in half? If you could do that then potentiall you have two huge pots/growing beds to use. I would tie a stringline around from the top to the bottom  (that way two even halves) Mark the line with a texta and then use a angle grinder to cut on the line. You could drill some drainage holes if you wished or go down the tarck of having it with water always in the base with a water well system.

Just be aware of that sand, I had a mess to clean up after I dumped it in a pile for reuse and it was washed away by the rain.

Dave

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good morning again @jennih 

I just saw a really nice idea that you could use that sand filter shell for! 

I came a cross a 4ft sphere that had been tiled mosaicly, they had broken up a whol bunch of bright coloured tiles and made shapes of flowers, stems all over the large ball. Just a different way to use it :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects