Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need advice on timber size for floating garage shelving

jaronemo
Growing in Experience

Need advice on timber size for floating garage shelving

Looking to make 600mm deep shelves with a pine box frame with mdf board sitting on top, with either metal or pine supports. Will span 3.5m along biggest wall and 2m on other 2 walls making a U-shape at one end of the garage. Biggest wall is plasterboard and the internal frame uprights seem to be about 450mm apart. Will be single shelf sitting about 2m off the ground, 800mm from the roof.

My question is what size and type of pine shall I use for the frame? Have seen both framing pine and dressed pine used before. Aesthetics isn't a concern.

Apologies if this makes no sense. Can't upload photos from laptop.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Need advice on timber size for floating garage shelving

Thanks for joining in the discussion on Workshop @jaronemo. Sounds like a fun project. Let me tag @Poppop who has plenty of experience building custom shelves and might like to kick off the discussion with his recommendations for you.

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand. We are looking forward to seeing your shelving project come to fruition.

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jaronemo
Growing in Experience

970CD4F7-BCDD-40B1-B747-DC849996B2B5.jpeg

Cheers @Jason and @Poppop

Currently thinking 70x35mm structural pine for the frame, 12mm MDF board on top and supported underneath by metal brackets or just making 45 degree pine ones. 

Similar to diagram attached but without the bottom MDF sheet. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/12mm-standard-mdf-600mm-x-900mm_p0590036

https://www.bunnings.com.au/carinya-600-x-300-x-40mm-heavy-duty-galvanised-twisted-stay-bracket_p396...

https://www.bunnings.com.au/70-x-35mm-mgp10-ut-pine-timber-framing-3-6m_p8030014

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@jaronemo Sounds like great project, I'll wait for @Poppop to jump in regards the custom shelves. 

Just thought I'd mention though, once you price the timber, compare it to what you would pay for freestanding prefab shelving units.

You may find the pricing fairly similar (after factoring in timber,fixings,brackets etc), obviously less sizing options available, but you may get lucky and find something that fits perfectly.

storage garage 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

jaronemo
Growing in Experience

Cheers @MitchellM but the reason for the floating shelving is because it’s a single car garage and with push bikes surrounding the car the tools need to go above it all. We’ve got too many bikes obviously!

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@jaronemo Sorry, re-reading your post I must have skimmed over "Will be single shelf sitting about 2m off the ground" , had presumed you were doing full height shelving, hence my suggestion.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Poppop
Making a Splash

Hi @jaronemo . I use the 70x35mm non structural pine from Bunnings for anything i make that needs a frame. They're a bit cheaper than structural pine and plenty strong enough for a shelf. 

jaronemo
Growing in Experience

Thanks heaps @Poppop. I'll post my photo results this weekend.

jaronemo
Growing in Experience

So we built the shelf in a day (a very long one due to too many tools getting lost in a messy worksite and a change of plans at the start). 

Used 70x35mm structural pine with 600mm (590 actual) metal brackets and 16mm MDF. 75mm bungle screws when wood-to-wood, 50mm otherwise. 

Only issue was when attaching to the brick wall. AnkaScrew's tore the brick to pieces. Went back and got 10x80mm RamPlug's and no issue attaching the wood rear baton.. Used Universal Anchor's (8x50mm) for the metal brackets into brick and seemed to be OK but brackets not as confidence inspiring as the plaster walls. Will put the light weight things on that side.

Photos are with junk moved back in ready to put on top.

968E7579-AC40-4A6F-BD9A-F0C9AA5DF906.jpeg

F73A4D35-87FD-42A3-BAF5-C074239EB122.jpeg

jaronemo
Growing in Experience

Here’s some shots of the mid-way.

Things I learned:

- when you buy timber you can get a complimentary trailer for 2hrs

- don’t then load that trailer with the wood leaning out the back. Having it pull up on the tow ball is not a fun driving experience. 

82DC8BA6-D2E3-4E12-8AA1-D4AC20E3B1C2.jpeg

9645562E-AD17-4072-BAA5-0EEB69213C35.jpeg

07E5A1C3-CB56-4CEE-A418-A12FA466115C.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects