Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ozito cordless battery compatibility

Ricochet
Getting Established

Ozito cordless battery compatibility

Hi.   I have just bought an Ozito 12v cordless drill.  Could I use the battery from that in an Ozito 18v Circular saw or other Ozito power tool.

Re: Ozito cordless battery compatibility

That looks like a fun project!

I have a question about battery and charger compatibility within the PXC range. I bought a drill & impact driver kit a few months ago. It came with a PXCG-030 fast charger and two 1.5Ah batteries. The charger only has three tangs and the batteries only have three slots with contacts. See attached images. Are these compatible with the current versions that have five tangs and contact slots?

PXL_20210925_043230032.jpgPXL_20210925_043259154.MP.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Richard.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Roadie3124. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question on battery compatibility.

It's my understanding that all the PXC batteries, chargers and tools are interchangeable. I haven't heard anything about the current five-prong design not working with a three-prong charger. I'd be more than happy to facilitate a refund on the items if there were any issues.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks, Mitchell. I bought the "Ozito PXC 18V Variable Speed Blower Kit" today, the one that's currently $175. The kit includes a 4.0Ah battery and a standard (i.e. not "Fast") charger. As I said in my original post, the charger has five tangs to connect to the battery. However, the new 4.0Ah battery only has three slots with connectors, the same as the 1.5Ah batteries that came with the dual drill kit I bought a few months ago.

If the new 4.0Ah battery only has three slots with connectors, it should work with the fast charger that only has three tangs. I tried it and it worked perfectly. If the new battery only has three connected slots, then the older batteries with three connected slots should work with the five-tang charger that's supplied with the new battery. I tried it and it worked perfectly.

Looks like complete compatibility to me. Now, just to satisfy my insatiable curiosity, I have to work out what the two extra tangs are for. Once again, thanks for your help.

Hi @Roadie3124,

Many thanks for going to the effort of testing the batteries and chargers and providing your findings here. That's very helpful to the community.

The additional terminals are likely there to regulate the charging of the cells. I'm not sure if you remember this far back, but once upon a time, we only had two terminals on batteries. You'd need to remove them from the charger as soon as they were finished charging, or risk damaging the battery. These days, the extra terminals are there to allow the charger to know when the battery is at full capacity and monitor other variables and cut off the charging cycle when needed. Depending on the technology used in the battery and charger, three or more terminals are required for intelligent charging. The extra tangs are connected to thermistors which read the voltage across the cells. This information is then converted to a temperature reading to monitor the battery cells while charging and keep them within parameters extending their lifespan. The two extra vacant tang sockets are likely there, so Ozitio can use that chargers shell in the event that the current cells they are using or technology becomes obsolete. The + and - are pretty self-explanatory, and the NTC tang is the thermistor. The missing ID tang is used to identify the battery and control the charging profile. They don't need it now, but I'd suggest they've planned for the future. The vacant NC could be for an additional thermistor on a multiple cell battery or stand for Normally Closed.

Thanks for sharing once again.

Mitchell

Thanks for the extra info, Mitchell. My curiosity is satisfied. I'm easily old enough to remember two-terminal batteries.

max_arul
Just Starting Out

Ozito 18v Battery compatibility with 36V?

Hi,

I itend to buy cordless devices for my new shed. Just wondering, what Ozito devices can I purchase, whereby I can use the 18v battery across the devices and will it be compatible to use a 36v battery as well.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Oziti18v Battery Vs 36V

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community @max_arul. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question on Ozito battery compatibility.

Ozito's 18-volt and 36-volt batteries suit their respective tools from different ranges. There are no tools that accept both an 18-volt battery and a 36-volt battery. Ozito moved away from their 36-volt battery design, and their entire current range of tools operates on 18-volt batteries. They do have a 36-volt lawnmower, but it utilises two 18-volt batteries to achieve the 36-volts.

Here's the range of tools you can confidently purchase from, knowing they all use the same 18-volt battery and charger.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

fabionakai
Just Starting Out

Old Ozito power adaptor/battery

Hi, a friend gave me this Ozito drill and all the set. I am trying to find the charger but it seems there's no adaptor in the market anymore. it's been bought at bunnings 5 or 6 years ago.  Any clues?

IMG_8859.jpgIMG_8860.jpg

IMG_8862.jpg

Re: Old Ozito power adaptor/battery

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @fabionakai.

I'll ask our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc to look into this for you when he's back on the site on Friday.

Stevie

Re: Old Ozito power adaptor/battery

Hi @fabionakai,

Unfortunately, those batteries and chargers were discontinued by Ozito some time ago. @tf recently asked a similar question in their Ozito CKL-8000 battery charger discussion.

If you were looking for a budget-friendly drill, I'd recommend the Ozito PXC 18V Drill Kit.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects