Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replacing rubber seal at bottom of Garage Roller Door

Anja_60
Just Starting Out

Replacing rubber seal at bottom of Garage Roller Door

I am needing to replace the rubber seal on the bottom of my garage roller door (not panel lift door).  I went the Bunnings and got the rubber and as I am doing this by myself (60 yr old female) is there a user friend easy way to do it ??

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Replacing rubber seal at bottom of Garage Roller Door

Hello @Anja_60 

I'm afraid this will be an involved fix. It depends on how the old rubber seal was fixed on the garage door. If it was held on by screws with a steel clip you will need to remove them one by one. Once off sometimes the seal is glued on with weather seal glue or siliconed on. This will all need to be removed and new glue/silicone placed on then the clips will need to be screwed back on. Some garage doors have a more involved clipping system then again some of them just slide on. Perhaps a picture and more investigation on your part will give us a better idea of how to proceed. Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

I went onto the manufacturers web page and found the same door that I have and it tells me to remove the single screw at one end and loosen the other end, this holds the long metal plate in place.  This will allow me to drop the plate down enough to slide out the rubber seal and 'slide' in the new rubber.  Problem I have is the screws are phillips head, really in tight and wont budge.  I don't want to force it which could result in damaging the end stopping any sort of grip.  I have sprayed WD40 and leaving it overnight - hopefully that might loosen the 18yrs of grit - if not I am not sure how to get the screw out without 'buring' the screw head.   I can replace the screws - stock standard phillips head but removing them - sheeeessshh.

Suggestions on how to get them loose enough to remove them ?? with out damaging them, damaging my screw driver or straining my shoulder / damaging my hand.  I am tackling the smaller roller door first before tackling the double length door.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Anja_60. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I see you have already received a helpful reply from the very knowledgable @redracer01 which is fantastic.

How did you go with the WD40 and did you succeed in loosening the screws? Depending on how proud the heads of the screws are from the surface you might be able to grip them with a pair of Irwin Vice Grip 175mm Curved Jaw Locking Pliers. Alternatively, I would try several applications of the WD-40 and ensure you have the correct screwdriver for that sized screw. Sometimes if the head of the screwdriver and the head of the screw do not match you will have the screw strip out.

Please let us know how you get on and if you have any further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects