Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Router Collet

pat2
Just Starting Out

Router Collet

My Ryobi router is 4 years old..The spring collet got stuck...had it removed bought a new collet  $46..now it is stuck first time using it..

Anyone help out

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Router Collet

Hi @pat2,

Sorry to read of your router issues. We have lots of keen woodworkers in the community who might be able to provide some helpful advice, including @Wayne, @Brad and @LePallet. But it might help community members if you provided a model number of your router, and perhaps even a photo? If you bought the collet at Bunnings I would also have no hesitation in returning it with your router to the store and asking a team member for assistance. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. It's great to have you join us. Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand.  

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JasonD
Finding My Feet

A little spray of dry silicon will help keep it free and moving. 

Avoid the sticky lube types, it will build up with saw dust.

Also when fitting the collet you dont need to tighten the hell out of it. A firm nip with the spanner will do.

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Hey mate 

I would go straight to a WD40 can and spray the fitting, with a few taps and hope it loosens 

good luck @pat2

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Agree with both the above reply first spray with WD too loosen WD is only a water displacment and will leave an oily film and collect dust once the collet is  loose remove clean out the WD, grab a can of Dry Lube give the collet housing and spary inside the lock nut. The dry lub will dry out over time so give a clean and resparay every so often because it will collect dust.  

Wayne
Becoming a Leader

Are you pushing the router bit all the way in or raising it a couple mm ?
Also check what you actually have there are 12mm collets and bits and also 1/2" collets and bits - 1/2" is actually 12.7mm - overtightening could occur using 12mm bits in a 1/2" collet.
http://www.newwoodworker.com/stuckbits.html

Wood Working with Wayne
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great advice guys, many thanks for your input. I'm sure @pat2 appreciates you all sharing your experience. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects