Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Sealing garage door

Reno8mate
Finding My Feet

Sealing garage door

Hi,

How can I seal all edges of a B & D roller garage door? Door isn’t flush with the wall & there’s a small gap (5mm) - big enough to let spiders & insects through. 

I don’t need to open the door as I’ve converted the garage to an office. Is there any particularly insulation/rubber etc I can use to seal the gaps to keep out insects?

Thx

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sealing garage door

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Reno8mate. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I'd recommend laying a bead of a flexible polyurethane adhesive like Sikaflex 11FC. It's perfect for use on vertical surfaces as it has a non-sag consistency and bonds well to a variety of construction materials. If you cut the nozzle to 6mm you should be able to close the gap with one pass. You can do multiple applications if necessary.

There is also a range of foam and rubber weather sealing strips which you could use in combination with the Sika product or by themselves.

Please let me know if you need further advice or have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Appreciate your advice. I’ve had a look further and not sure how this will be effective for sealing the garage from dust & bugs. 

Dust and bugs have 3 entry points; top, sides & door panels.

Do I need to consider boxing it in with plywood?

thx

Hi @Reno8mate,

I apologise for the delay in my response. If there are too many gaps or you are not able to seal them with weather sealing products then completely boxing in the door would be an option. That would certainly allow you to seal the entrance and would improve the look of the rear of the door in the office space.

Let me mention the ever-helpful @Brad to see if he can think of any alternatives in this situation.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc! I’m keen to hear what @Brad  thinks too

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

If you are going to frame off the area around the door, I would tend towards using blue board.

It is easier to finish than Gyproc.

Ply can tend to vary in quality unless you use marine ply which can be expensive.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects