Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

A chicken has adopted us

pepsp
Having an Impact

A chicken has adopted us

FB_IMG_1615059656740.jpg

Meet Molly. She's been a visitor to our backyard for a while but in the last week she has been roosting on our deck and tapping at our back windows and sneaking inside when we're not looking. She is hilarious and also needs company I think. 

FB_IMG_1615059673657.jpg

Yesterday we found these

Resized_20210306_175536(3).jpeg

We're worried about her sleeping in the open and also the amount of poo on the deck is something else. So we bought and put together this coop and have put it where she's sleeping in the hope she'll get used to it then we can move it down the yard. 

Resized_20210306_174548.jpeg

The coop seems really small though. Maybe I should DIY a bigger coop. And get her some friends. Any suggestions?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: A chicken has adopted us

It's great to hear about your new guest @pepsp.

My young daughter now has a fascination with chickens, and I'm contemplating getting a couple. Not only are they a fantastic source of guilt-free eggs, but I'm sure they are a marvellous learning experience for a child.

The coop is perfect for housing her at night, but at least a short run would be a nice addition for quality of life. It should be relatively easy to construct with chicken wire, stakes and some wire ties.

Here are a few discussions you might like to read through:

Let me mention @Caron and @mich1972 to see if they have some ideas on creating a simple run.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Molly is very lucky to have you @pepsp 🥰 She will need a friend so she is not lonely. Coop is good. 

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@pepsp  They need a run it’s not good to keep them caged. Think of the coop as a sleeping and nesting area only. They need room to move. Just make a temporary fence around it that you can move  if you are planning on moving the coop around. 

Be prepared for your beautiful lawn to be dug up, trust me, it doesn’t take long. 

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @pepsp 

Hows about a chiken hotel?

Red

pepsp coop1.jpgpepsp coop2.jpgpepsp coop3.jpgpepsp coop4.jpgpepsp coop5.jpgpepsp coop6.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

That certainly is the Taj Mahal of chicken hotels @redracer01! You'd be one lucky chicken if that were a place to call home. I really like the elevated roosting boxes, as they are a perfect height for collecting eggs.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Wow @redracer01 ! The Taj ma coop! We can have a maximum of 5 chickens and an enclosure of up to 15m2 without an approval. So the hotel could work!!

Elisha007
Growing in Experience

Hi 😁

I think it's a really beautiful thing you've done by taking her in and looking after her. She definitely sounds like she's comfy with you and trusts you. 

Looks like she's saying thanks by the looks of the pressies she left you (the eggs).

Good luck with the chicken coop 👍

Oh @redracer01 - I'm contacting you when I do Coupe-de-ville Mark 11 .... that looks amazing!

Welcome to the world of owning chickens - Molly will definitely need company - they are a very social animal and have their own heirachy within the coop. They will need space to either free range or have a decent run. I started with two and now have seven - all different breeds (rescues) and absolutely love them - they are fun, entertaining and very intelligent. 

Love to hear / get an update on how Molly is going - apologies for the late response!

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Caron 

Not to worry just drop me a line here on workshop and I will be more than happy to plan you a two story chicken mansion!

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects