Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best compost or soil for rockmelon and watermelon?

April72
Finding My Feet

Best compost or soil for rockmelon and watermelon?

Hi team,

Just wondering what is the best compost or soil to grow rockmelon and watermelon in please. Have a wonderful day 😀 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Best compost or soil for rockmelon and watermelon?

Hi @April72,

The Bunnings team has shared a guide on How to plant, grow and harvest watermelon, and I imagine the advice is the same for rockmelon.

The wonderful @Noelle has also shared a step-by-step guide How to make compost for your garden that might be useful to you. 

Have you planted as yet? Or do you have a chosen spot? Where are you based and what is the soil like? If you could provide a little more detail it might assist helpful members like Noelle provide more specific and helpful advice on how to improve your soil to produce the abundant fruit. 

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Best compost or soil for rockmelon and watermelon?

Hi @April72,

This is a really great garden question, let me tag a couple of our amazing garden experts @Adam_W and @Noelle to ask what they would advise. Can I ask which state you live in? Typically the weather/climate will also help determine what the best compost or soil will be for your fruits. Our resident DIY expert @MitchellMc will be back online on Friday and will also be able to assist. 

Katie

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best compost or soil for fruits?

Hi @April72,

It's great to see that @Jason has provided a useful article. As long as you have reasonable drainage in the area, I'd suggest a quality planting mix consisting of four parts Scotts Osmocote 25L Garden Soil Premium Planting Mix and one part Richgro 25L Black Marvel Garden Compost

When first planting, you'll want to use a nitrogen-rich fertiliser like PowerFeed 600mL Fertiliser Liquid Concentrate in combination with Blood & Bone for vigorous growth and leaf development. Once the plant has established, you'll want to switch to a phosphorus-based fertiliser like Richgro 2.5kg Organics Phosphorus Root Health Booster, which helps the plant develop strong root systems and promotes flowering and fruiting.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects