Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best soil type and conditions for growing Acer Palmatum - Japanese Maple

PN
Having an Impact

Best soil type and conditions for growing Acer Palmatum - Japanese Maple

Hi @EricL 

After some best practice recommendations for growing Acer Palamatum (Japanese Maple). Got 2 young plants in small pots each about 4 ft high.

How big a pot can we the plants in if we planted in pot initially or is it better to plant them straight into the garden? If in pot what type of soil or potting mix is best to plant them in? Should the fledgling plants be in full sun or part sun and shade?

Many thanks in advance for the advice.

Thanks

Partha

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best soil type and conditions for growing acer palmatum ( Japanse Maple)

Hi Partha @PN,

@EricL is taking a well-deserved break but will be back on the site on Monday. I'm sure he'll add to the discussion any additional information he can think of.

Japanese maples adapt well to container life, and your choice of pot size depends on how large you would like them to grow. The larger the pot, the bigger the tree. A free-draining potting mix such as Scotts Osmocote 50L Premium Plus Superior Potting Mix would be suitable.

If your intended location for them is in the garden, you'd be fine to plant them in those spots now instead of going into another container. It would be a good time to transplant them now whilst they are still dormant. Remember to pick a location that receives around 4-6 hours of direct light each day with preferably partial shade during midday and afternoon whilst they are still young. Make sure the planting location has well-draining soil and is protected from strong winds.

Please let us know if you have more questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PN
Having an Impact

Thank you so much @MitchellMc . Hope you have been keeping well. That is very helpful. I am torn between whether to plant them or pot them. If I plant them in the garden what type of fertiliser should I use as part of planting them?

Many Thanks

Partha

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@PN,

Then you might like to plant them in some larger pots so you can move them around, trying them in different locations. Once you have decided on their permanent home, you can wait till next year and plant them in the ground.

Japanese maples require a slow-release fertiliser similar to Scotts Osmocote 500g All Purpose Controlled Release Fertiliser. Do not use an instant fertiliser as they can easily be damaged from over fertilisation.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects