Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best way to extend a lawn over a small area?

tod
Cultivating a Following

Best way to extend a lawn over a small area?

Hi all,

I want to continue the tiny lawn in my backyard over the area I've pictured, which is approximately 7.5sqM.  Though I'd love to lay turf, I can't at the moment invest the time or money into properly preparing the ground and laying the turf.  The patch of ground as it stands seems to me to be a mix of weeds and grass (Buffalo I think) extending from the existing lawn.  I was thinking of spreading  top soil and fertiliser and then sowing grass seed which would hopefully in time conquer any weeds (with due maintenance of course). Would this be an option or a waste of time and effort?  Thanks!IMG_4405.jpgIMG_4404.jpgIMG_4403.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best way to extend a lawn over a small area?

Hello @tod 

It's definitely not a waste of time and effort, especially when it comes to the health of your lawn. Your analysis of the situation is correct, the patchy area of your lawn has been overcome with weeds. Removing the weeds and adding topsoil to the area and seeding it is a sound plan. 

However, it will take some time for the lawn to grow to the same height and thickness of your existing lawn. I suggest having a look at this discussion - Lawn recovery with seeds by @prettyliving. It's a great example of how you can repair damaged portions of your lawn. Despite the local roadworks in progress the area was still repaired and in only four weeks.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tod
Cultivating a Following

Re: Best way to extend a lawn over a small area?

Thanks a lot for the info and suggestions Eric. I'll follow those links and take it from there. AND it might be a good idea to tackle that bolted lettuce that features so prominently in my photos! 😬

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects