Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Brisbane box garden - 6 months of successes and failures

Ari
Having an Impact

Brisbane box garden - 6 months of successes and failures

I planted this native garden in timber boxes just before Christmas, and thought I'd share what has died, survived and thrived. Being lazy, I chose drought hardy natives so they'd survive on rainwater only and require no maintenance.  Alas Brisbane had plenty of rain in February causing a few plants to die as they had too much water! Most plants from Bunnings and all were small plants under $20 when purchased. 

I went with the thriller, filler, spiller model, with one large shrub in each planter box as the thriller. This space has early morning sun then shade for 70% of the day.

SUCCESS

1. The grey/green spiller. This is Desert Pride or Eremophila Kalbarri Carpet. These babies have gone bananas, they were 3 or 4 stems about 10cm long on purchase and are now loads of stems of 20-50cm long. Love them.

2. Nafray Grass. Grass on the far left and the far right. Cheap, grows quickly, fills a gap.

3. Robyn Gordon Grevillea - slow growing but going well and has given me two rounds of rather nice red flowers in the last 6 months.

4.Callistemon Hannah Ray - also slow growing but looking healthy.

5. Night Jessamine - I bought these as they were on sale for about $5.  They went absolutely ballistic and grew to 6 feet high and wide in two months.  Too much for me so I sold them on Facebook for $30 each.  Note these are a weed if they get out into the bush, competing with natural flora.

In a separate pot doing very nicely is a Sublime Fruiting Lime.  Looks lovely and may well adorn a G&T one day.

MIXED SUCCESS

Ascot Rainbow - I started with three of these. One has done well and really grown while the other two hung around for 4 months then seemed to rot and die. Too much rain early on I suspect.

In a separate pot I have a Star Jasmine. It went crazy over summer but has barely grown at all since March. We'll see what happens in Spring.

FAILURE

Kangaroo Paw - I failed to heed the warnings because they just looked so nice at the store!  Too much rain and one rotted and died within a month.  I cut the other one right back and it's still there but hasn't grown much at all. 

Also worth noting is that I used a decent potting mix.  I'm usually tempted by the $3/bag stuff, but took the Bunnings staff member recommendation to buy something decent and used 70% Searles Premium Potting Mix and 30% soil on the bottom of the boxes.

Hope this is useful to someone.  Cheers.IMG-5086.jpgIMG-5087.jpgIMG-5088.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Brisbane Box Garden - 6 month successes and failures

Many thanks for contributing your experience, @Ari. I trust it will be beneficial to our members considering planting out natives.

I love your thriller, filler and spiller method as it really covers all bases and ensures a beautiful arrangement.

It sounds like there could be a nice little business opportunity for you with the Night Jessamine at a 500% profit margin. Maybe you should pick up a few more and grow them out?

Please keep us updated on their progress, and thanks again for taking the time to pass on these details.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects