Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Brown spots on Lilly Pilly leaves

Spravotchka
Finding My Feet

Brown spots on Lilly Pilly leaves

20221210_074123.jpg

The rest of the leaves are healthy. Location Townsville. Gets sun 2/3 of the day.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Brown spots on Lilly Pilly leaves

Hello @Spravotchka,

Sorry to hear about your sick Lilly Pilly. Let me tag our garden experts @Adam_W and @Noelle in case they can offer any recommendations on how to care for your plant. 

In the meantime, I suggest checking out the following related discussions:

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Spravotchka

When the leaves of the Lily Pilly start to go brown the general cause is due to water, It's either too much, too little or too irregular. Poor drainage and water-repellent soil can also be a cause. It's important to keep your soil quality in check, when was the last time you fertilized the plant? How often have you been watering it? If you can provide a bit of history of what's happened to the plant in the last four weeks we'll be able to give you a better diagnosis of what's happening to it. 

In the meantime, I suggest checking if the soil is waterlogged and if it is, I suggest changing your watering schedule to let the water drain away properly. Look under the leaves and see if there are any insects living underneath, check the body of the plant if it has any discolouration. If you see anything else unusual about the plant please let us know.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

There are 4 lilly pillies in the same area of the garden. The other two don't have brown spots. I can't see any insects on the undersides of the leaves. Not sure what "the body of the plant" is - the stem? Looks fine. Fertilised in April and September with Osmacote native, Charlie Carped once a month, deep watering fortnightly unless it has rained. The spots were there before it rained for 4 days recently, and are still there since the rains. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Spravotchka

This could be a root-related problem, I suggest carefully digging at the side of the plant and see if you can spot its roots. Are the roots black and is there a rotting smell? Once you've dug into the soil you should be able to tell if it is waterlogged or not. If the roots are in good condition and are not waterlogged, perhaps it's not getting enough water. If you've had several hot dry days it might be necessary to change your watering habits. I also suggest trying out Yates 17.5kg Dynamic Lifter Organic Plant Fertiliser and Soil Improver.  It releases nutrients slowly, improving the structure and moisture retention of the soil as well as encouraging earthworms and beneficial soil microorganisms.  

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects